Chapter 51

I couldn't stop thinking, right up until I saw Glenn look towards the house. I glanced as I shoveled the last of my eggs into my mouth, and found Maggie on the porch, looking this way with her arms crossed.

I watched her shake her head; The gesture visible even at this distance.

Glenn looked to his other side where Dale stood. The old man nodded, like a parent encouraging their kid to apologize.

I'm assuming the four of us having this awkward mental debate are the only ones aware of the barn at this moment. Glenn swallowed, looking at his own hands before finally looking to me.

I sighed, looking at him with sympathy. Agh, I'm sorry you always wind up stuck in the middle, Ace.

When we met, I really hoped I wouldn't be one of the people putting you in a tough place...but it's time to face the music.

Looking back at his hands, he found his conviction and stood; Going from the side of the group to a place directly across from me, where the entire group would be able to see him.

"U-ummm, guys." Glenn rubbed the side of his face, while the others looked at him.

"So..." Glenn glanced at me and I gave a subtle nod to reassure his decision.

"The barn's full of walkers."

I've never seen a more synchronized movement in my life.

Everything stopped; Conversation, eating, breathing, and all eyes fixed on Glenn.

I watched Rick turn slowly, the movement ominous and foreign to his everyday. Even from behind him, I can tell exactly where his eyes are.

It was the stillest moment in history. The next second, everyone was on their feet, heading straight for the barn in a frenzied panic.

I followed Daryl and as I came up beside Glenn, I clapped him on the shoulder.

I don't know if this was the right course of action, but it's better than doing nothing. We can't leave it there forever, and it's better if we deal with this as a group.

-

I watched Shane inch up next to the old chained barn doors and peer between gaps in the faded graying panels.

He didn't have to, you can hear the shuffling, growls, and moans right here 20 feet from it, but apparently seeing is believing for him. Even if it gets your eye poked out by a walker finger.

Would that infect you? I mean we don't know how exactly it spreads, all we know is bites and scratches do the trick, but would that count as a scratch? Would it have to break into the bloodstream to infect you?

Shane backed away and turned with a huff, coming back towards us with a powerful stride.

"You cannot tell me you're alright with this." he moved past Rick

"No I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land."

No offense Rick, but this is a little more important than being good house guests.

"God, this is our lives! Man" Shane pulled off his hat, arms swinging down in exacerbation.

"Lower your voice." Glenn warned, shooting a nervous glance at the barn doors.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug" Andrea interjected.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Andrea and Shane on this one. Even if it means upsetting our hosts, this isn't something we should ignore.