Chapter 175

She hates this.

They never had this much trouble sticking together before this place.

Eve's eyes roamed around the trees, as if just staring could set them on fire and burn down the whole forest in an instant, leaving nothing but a rain of ash.

The exact same way she used to look at the world around her. The city, the people in the streets.

The corner of her mouth lifted, twisted with bitterness.

It's been a long time since she hated a place so much but couldn't leave.

After every unbelievable thing that's happened in her lifetime, she never expected to be on the front lines of a domestic war with their neighboring "tribe".

Merle is Daryl's brother, she gets that. She's never had a sibling but she can't imagine it's much different than how she feels about Glenn, but strangely she would give anything to just cut Merle's tongue out and drag everyone home by the ear, and burn this Woodbury place to the ground. Problem solved.

"Hey." Daryl called to her, and watched her eyes come down from the trees.

The weird feeling in his stomach didn't dissipate. His eyebrows knit as he stared at the unfamiliar emotion in her eyes.

He isn't good at describing this stuff but the best he can manage is, it looks....... like she's gonna snap.

She got close to this once before, at the farm but it's different now. That looked like frustration but this... the wheels in her brain are turning.

That makes him uneasy.

Eve saw the small shifting emotions on his face and sighed. "When this is over, I want a vacation."

Daryl chuckled without meaning to but quickly recovered and nodded, chewing his lips to diminish the smile on his face. "Deal."

"I don't wanna do things anymore." Eve almost whined. "I just wanna sit."

Daryl brushed his thumb over the one spot on her jaw that isn't hurt. The smile on his face migrating to his eyes, "Deal."

Eve stepped forward and their arms automatically wrapped around one another.

The warmth is comforting. Comforting enough to make her speak instead of suffer in silence.

"I'm worried."

Daryl opened his mouth to respond but gave it a second thought and waited for her to continue.

"That this is never gonna end. I'd rather go back to moving around. Find somewhere else where the neighbors are nicer, or better yet, no neighbors at all."

The corner of his lip quirked up, amused at the idea that he's even having this conversation. "Never pegged you for the domestic type."

"I'd take a domestic life over a stuffy concrete box with trigger-happy locals any day."

Daryl nodded, humming in agreement. He's not overly fond of this place either.

"Are you gonna be ok?" The thought barely crossed his mind before he found himself asking.

Eve sighed. "I'm always ok."

"And I'm a people person. Quit lyin'."

"You know what they say. Lie until it becomes the truth."

"Who told you that?" His tone was bordering accusatory, personally offended by someone saying such bull to her.

Eve shrugged, nonchalantly. "Think I read it somewhere."