Chapter 168

Glenn struggled against the duct tape but no matter how hard he jerked his arm all it did was move the wooden chair a few inches. He could stand up since his legs are free but he has no idea when Merle will be back or what he even left to get but his gut is twisting with anxiety, a cold sweat collecting on the back of his neck because he has an idea and he hopes to god he's wrong but knowing Merle Dixon, it could even be infinitely worse than what he's thinking.

He didn't have much longer to think about it before the sheet-metal door swung open, hitting the haphazard brick wall with a loud 'bang'.

A sharp intake of breath stung his lungs and made his chest ache horribly, his heart rate skyrocketing as the mutilated corpse stumbled into the room on a metal leash.

Grotesque yellow puss-filled eyes nearly bulging out of their sockets fixed on him and a lunch-losing snarl roared from the walker as it dragged Merle into the room behind it.

The black and brown sludge around its mouth clung around it's teeth, saliva — or rather what used to be saliva — drooled down it's mangled chin, it's lips long gone like something chewed them off as it snapped it's jaws at Glenn, trying with all it's might to rip out of the grasp of Merle's metal leash.

"Alrighty. I want you to imagine how I felt fightin' my way off that rooftop." Merle struggled to keep his grip on the metal claw pole that held the walker captive by its neck.

"One handed. Losing blood." Merle let the walker so close that if it had an inch more it'd scratch Glenn's face off without a thought. "Walkers chomping down on me every step of the way."

Glenn tried to lean back as far as he could but he couldn't lean so far that the chair tips over or he's screwed.

"Last chance. Where's your group?"

Glenn shot a venomous glare at him, jaw locked and mind whirling with how to get out of this.

Adrenaline psyching him up for what's about to happen because he has no doubt about what Merle intends to do. There's no way he won't go through with a threat, at least Merle's reliable in that if nothing else.

"Alright suit yourself." Merle backed towards the door, fighting with the walker trying to pull forwards and devour the first thing in it's sight; Glenn.

"You're a pretty big snack for this fella but you know what they say. He's gonna be hungry again in an hour." As soon as Merle got to the door, he released it and all but shoved the walker forward, slamming the door behind it.

The second the door shut, Glenn jerked as hard as he could on his arms, it was the only thing he could think of, but he only got 2 tugs before his feet flew up and slammed against the walker's chest, pushing himself over as it threw the walker back.

Glenn braced for the impact as the back of the chair hit the ground.

Glenn didn't have time to even recognize what hurt as he threw all of his weight to the side and managed to roll the chair while the walker was struggling to get off the floor.

He managed to get up before the walker but only by a few seconds and it came stumbling towards him again.

His eyes flew to the stack of suitcases between them and he slammed his shoulder into them, toppling them straight into the walker which made it stagger long enough for him to find something else, he just needs to buy himself enough time to think and his luck was on the up again as he noticed the wire frame of a spring mattress right to him.

He threw it open with any haphazard movement he could just in time to use it as a shield against the walker.

It worked, but not as well as he'd hoped. The walker's body was stopped and it's teeth were kept at bay but it's arms went straight through, unflinching at the tearing the wires did on what's left of its flesh.