Chapter 62

Meeting Rick's gaze, I sighed through my nose; trying not to judge or knit-pick his reasons for doing what he did.

What's done is done. There's nothing we can do about it.

He was bound to snap somehow, sooner or later. And I think we've both known that for awhile now.

Rick stowed his Python as Glenn and Hershel came over.

"Holy shit" Glenn's spooked voice came from my left, as he stared at Tony's body.

"You all right?" Rick looked at him.

Glenn shifted on his feet, looking at Rick and breathed, "...Yeah"

Rick nodded. "Hershel?"

Hershel didn't answer, just looked between the places the bodies lie before giving Rick a long stare.

"Eve?" the officer turned to me.

I gave a solid nod, stowing my weapon.

Rick looked between us all. Glenn shifted his shotgun so it was ready to be raised and fire if need be. I pulled a blade, myself, just in case.

Hershel looks leaps and bounds more sober than a few moments ago; the adrenaline is probably to thank.

It's already dark out; we need to get back before people at camp start jumping to conclusions and run around like headless chickens.

I made my way to the bar, climbing over and dropped down just in front a Dave's body. I grabbed the piece he was flashing from the floor and rose to my full height again, checking the clip.

He didn't take real good care of it, but the clips more than half full, and it's clean enough. I'll take it.

These two brought this outcome on themselves, only thing I can't figure out is why.

Why were they so keen to find out where we're setup? I doubt they wanted to be allies, or actually join up with us. So what were they planning to do if they got what they wanted?

"Let's head back." Hershel broke me from my thoughts.

I looked over, giving a nod before heading to the end of the bar.

A stream of light moved over the room with the sound of an engine.

I ducked, keeping my head down as I came out the end of the bar. I took cover beside Rick at the doors, just under the window and moved the curtain the slightest bit.

The doors of a pickup outside opened and 3 armed men emerged, looking around.

Dammit, I was afraid something like this would happen.

"What do we do?" Glenn whispered.

I looked to Rick and watched the gears turn in his head as he watched out the gap my fingers held open.

"Doesn't look like they know we're here. Our best bet is to wait till they leave." he glanced over his shoulder and Glenn nodded.

Patient approach. Good call, Officer. Glad to see you haven't lost your head. Yet.

-

"Why won't they leave?" Glenn whispered

"Would you?" Hershel whispered, as I handed him Dave's gun; taking out my own.

I nudged Rick, pointing to the side room.

"We can't sit here any longer. Let's head out the back and make a run to the car." Rick whispered the plan.