Chapter 54

I came up on the fence faster than I thought. The whole time I spent running nothing a blur in my memory.

Just as I feared, the tracks continued beyond the fenceline but I couldn't help but notice, the fence isn't damaged. It almost— looks like it was opened.

I followed the stagnating tracks all the way to the treeline, more cautiously; ready to jump straight into a fight, but I haven't heard any gunshots yet.

Normally that would be good but none of this is adding up.

I can't tell how many bodies there are from just these tracks, but it's more than one or two. That I'm certain of.

Shouting reached my ears as I came through the trees onto the grass field.

I almost tripped to a stop when I saw Jimmy leading two walkers towards the barn like a piece of bait; Rick and Hershel, handling them on the ends of snare poles behind him. All 4 of them iced like cake, in the very mud coating my own boots.

What in fresh Hell is going on?

Shouting erupted as Shane arrived on scene; running down from the house. The rest of the group not far behind him but at this distance I can't make out what they're saying.

I don't really need to hear the words. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what they're probably yelling about.

I ran as fast as my legs could push me across the distance between us.

Shane shouting like it's his career isn't unusual but 90% of the group packin' serious firearms and surrounding a couple a walker's on leashes like it's a damn underground fight? I'm not sure what to think.

"They're the things that killed Amy. They killed Otis. They're gonna kill all of us unless we do somethin—"

"Shane, shut up!" Rick yelled, struggling to keep hold of the walker.

My chest heaved as I finally reached Daryl.

I looked at him for explanation but he only jerked his head towards the scene unfolding before us.

Focusing on Shane's shouting, while the man stormed circles around Rick & Hershel, I tried to clue myself in.

Rick's walker flailed and it's arms swung towards me. I reflexively pulled my piece, jumping back as I trained it on the coveralled male walker.

"Hey Hershel, let me ask you somethin' man. Could a livin' breathin' person. Could they walk away from this?" Shane pulled his piece and shot Hershel's female walker 3 times in the torso.

"No!" Rick shouted.

Everyone flinched back, or like Daryl and myself, tensed to the point of almost pulling the trigger.

This is why you don't put your finger on the trigger 'till you intend to pull it.

"Stop it!" Rick shouted again but I can almost see it bounce right off Shane's skull.

"That's three rounds in the chest." Shane shouted. "Could someone who's alive, could they just take that?! Why's it still coming?" he pointed at Hershel's walker, before firing again.

"That's its heart, its lungs. Why's it still comin!?" he yelled, aiming again.

I watched the conviction melt out of Hershel's composure, as he watched the bullets lodge themselves in the unimpeded walker.

"Shane enough!" Rick shouted again, only this time it didn't fall on deaf ears.

"Yeah you right, man." Shane stalked towards Hershel's leashed walker. "That is enough."