Chapter 100

3rd Person POV

The sun seemed to rise higher and higher by the second, the light becoming brighter as Randall limped between cars. It's been what ten minutes since they separated, and already it's so much brighter out here.

He didn't know there were this many cars on the highway farther down from where his people had camped out but if that herd tore through from here... there's a good chance they're either gone, or didn't make it out.

As soon as Randall stumbled to the center of the carjam, he could have collapsed in relief.

There near the center of a somewhat cleared space was the car Eve mentioned, and right in front of it, the little kid with the sheriff hat, Hershel, and the guy who was gonna let him go before.

Thankfully it was the kid who spotted Randall first.

And right after Rick and Hershel turned, a rumbling sound drew all of their attention to the other side of the road. Where the green car and a motorcycle came and parked next to them all.

Daryl looked around, clasping hands with Rick, glad to see him alive, but his eyes searched for someone he didn't see. Skipping straight over the gut covered kid and looking straight towards the blue truck which was coming to a stop just on the other side of Maggie & Glenn's car.

"Oh thank god!" Lori came running around the side, straight for Carl and her husband.

Daryl's gut dropped, searching the people who are here once again. "Where's Eve?"

"She was with me." Randall raised his hand. "About ten minutes ago."

"Where the Hell is she then? Why ain't she here?" Rick clasped Daryl's shoulder as his voice rose with his temper.

"We were walkin' in a herd — she told me to go then she just left, leadin' them away." Randall spit out fast, pointing.

"Why would she do that?" Maggie questioned.

"Cause it's who she is." Rick answered without a second thought. "Knowin' her, she wouldn't wanna chance leadin' a herd straight to us."

"She told me to wait an hour." Randall added, hoping it would somehow help.

"I'm goin' to find 'er." Daryl went back to his bike.

"No." Rick stopped him and for half a second he thought Daryl was actually going to sock him in the face but he put his hand up. "If she's still leadin' that herd, we'll never find 'er in the middle of all that."

"Assuming she's still alive that is." T-Dog interjected. He didn't want to be the one to say it, they all have faith in that woman's abilities but even she has her limits.

She was pretty messed up the last time they all saw her at the house, too.

"All we can do is wait." Rick looked Daryl in the eyes. "And trust that she'll find her way. She always does."

Daryl turned anxious eyes towards the treeline. The sinkhole flashing through his mind. He knows Eve can handle herself but still. He can't help being restless. Knowing she was so close and now she could be anywhere with god knows how many walkers around her or possibly chasing her.

She can't go on for long in the state she was even before the farm was overrun. Nevermind now after however the Hell she got out — which he is still in the dark about.

"What about Andrea?" Glenn brought up. "Did anyone see her?"

"She saved me, then I lost her." Carol answered.

"I'll go back." Daryl volunteered, partially so he can somewhat look for Eve, and partially because he can't just sit here and wait. He's never been good at that.

"No." Rick shook his head.

"We can't just leave 'er." Daryl argued, getting frustrated.

"She isn't there. She isn't. She's somewhere else or she's dead, there's no way to find 'er." Rick made a point, even if everyone hates to admit it. "We can't stay here. There have been walkers crawling all over this area."

That's when Daryl put his foot down. "I ain't goin' nowhere without Eve."

"Me neither, Rick." Glenn gave him an apologetic but unbudging look.

"I'm not going anywhere without her either, dad."

Rick looked down at Carl.

"And it's possible Andrea could show up during that time too." T-Dog interjected once again.

Rick looked at each of them thoughtfully before finally sighing. He's outnumbered.

"Fine, but we can't be in the open like this. We need to head over there." He pointed. "Somewhere with a little more cover, where we can still see this spot."

It was reluctant but the group agreed to that at least.

-

Eve's arms are really getting tired now; pretending to be stuck on a branch while the herd moves on without her, but it's almost to the end now.

So it should finally be safe enough to slip away.

This herd was a lot bigger than she thought, either that or they're just slower than she'd imagined. It took forever for them to pass but she thinks she still has time to get back.

As soon as she started off again though, she really felt the exhaustion.

She could fall asleep right here.

Fainting from fatigue is becoming a dangerously real possibility. She can't afford that right now, for a number of reasons but she has to get to the highway. She doesn't have much time left, if any at all.

She knows Randall at least is alive, and he should've reached the highway a long time ago.

She's got maybe 10-15 minutes to get back before her hour's up, as the crow flies.

She can't afford to stop moving now. You know what they say, just keep swimming. Right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wooohoo! the 100th chapter!!! 🎉 

Sorry it's short you guys but today was just... I had a really bad day and even just getting this much out took everything I had, so I hope you can forgive me.