Chapter 155

As soon as Mr.Cartel turned he jumped, and I resisted the urge to smile as I lowered my gun, stepping out of the way towards Daryl.

I stowed my gun but kept my hand on it as the prisoners went out into the yard and followed Rick and the others out after them.

"Damn the sun feels good." the second biggest guy stretched his arms as everyone walked into the yard.

I ignored the conversation mostly and just watched the prisoners until the big guy picked up a stick and started poking at a body on the ground.

"So what is this like a disease?"

"Yeah, and we're all infected." Rick answered and they all looked at him.

"What you mean infected? Like AIDS or somethin?" the one white boy of their group turned around, crossing his arms insecurely. No matter how I look at him, he looks like someone who just walked out of the confederate army.

"If I was to kill you, shoot an arrow in your chest. You'd come back as one a these things." Daryl pointed to the body the big guy was poking. "It's gonna happen to all of us."

"Ain't no way these robin hood caps are responsible for killin' all these freaks." Mr.Cartel shook his head, not believing us for a second.

"Must be 50 bodies out here."

Good. Keep that underestimation up.

"Where'd you come from?" He walked towards Rick.

"Atlanta." Rick answered, his machete held loosely in his hand. To anyone else it would look like he's just holding it but the rest of us know that hold, we do it ourselves. It's the hold where you could tighten your grip at a moment's notice and just swing it as hard as you need to.

"Where you headed?" he stalked towards Rick until he was almost exactly a meter from him.

"For now, nowhere." Rick shifted his weight into a more action-prone stance. The sort of stance you take when you're not gonna throw the first hit but you will damn well dodge and return serve with a snap of your fingers.

"I guess you could take that area down there by the water. Should be comfortable."

Aha, you say that like you have a say in what we do.

"We're using that field for crops." Rick denied calmly.

"We'll help you move your gear out."

This is hilarious. You can see the ego around this guy but I'd bet you that if we stuck him on the other side of these fences he wouldn't last ten minutes.

He might be able to hit a few walkers. Then he'd get over confident until that gun of his runs out of bullets. Then he'll get swarmed and go down just like everybody else who doesn't recognize their own limits.

"That won't be necessary." Rick answered just as even as before. "We took out these walkers, this prison is ours."

Well, worst case scenario, we can take all of these guys out right now if we have to.

Shoot Mr.Cartel first and they've got no other weapons, the rest of us have guns and way more life and death fight experience.

"Slow down, cowboy."

"You snatched the locks off our doors." The smallest (and second most aggressive) guy stepped up behind Mr.Cartel, like a little lap dog that thinks it's mean and tough.

"We'll give you new locks if that's how you want it." Rick turned it back on him.

This is like watching toddlers argue with an adult about why they should get to drive the car.