Chapter 75

Eve's back touched the tree. Her head resting right beside the blade stuck at eye level in the trunk, as she slid down.

Her boots slid in the dirt until she on the ground. Her muddy soles almost touching the stones around the firepit as her knees lined up with her shoulders.

Daryl grit his teeth, glaring at the dirt.

He knew she'd almost died out there. He had too. A lot of 'em almost bit the dust for it.

They did it cuz they thought—...Daryl kept telling himself the whole time that if they found 'er, it'd all be worth it.

It was dumb. It was dumb of them both to think that way. For the others, maybe not but for them two of all people to fall into the 'hope' trap?

They both should'a known better, and they knew it.

Neither of them wanted to though. They just wanted something to go right for a change. But fate is not inclined to give favors.

Daryl looked at the dying fire at his feet and couldn't help a small part of him linking it to the woman sat against the tree.

She's good at hiding it —downright lies about it sometimes—, but nothing can be truly hidden forever. They both thought they were gonna find 'er.

It's been days. They should be over this by now. They got bigger things to worry about.

As unfortunate as it may be, they were both keenly aware that just because the world flipped on its head doesn't mean the way people handle grief does.

For survival, your brain can tuck just about anything away. But it's the quiet moments where it creeps back in. The times you're allowed to think, no matter how much you don't want to.

Eve regret letting her curiosity get the better of her. Something she never thought she'd experience. Asking questions had always been her saving her grace, had always allowed her to come to terms with anything that was thrown at her.

Not this time.

Maybe curiosity isn't as good as it used to be. Some things are better left where they lie. Some details are best left unknown. Like a magic trick.

Knowing the trick is fun and all, but it ruins it for you. All the wonder it once brought is gone, never to return.

Eve always thought she was the kinda person who wanted to know the trick so she could give that wonder to others. But this is more like a sick joke.

She couldn't even ask what they'd done to deserve this because she knew. Pick up any human history book and the evidence is all there. They destroyed this planet, can you blame it for finally fighting back?

Daryl sank down in front of Eve. Her boot almost touching his knee.

He vaguely noticed her black jeans had ripped at her knee, as she shifted, taking off her jacket.

She tossed the offending object to the ground beside her; almost getting one of the sleeves in the fire.

It was a little weird to see any of her skin aside from the neck up & her hands, when she's clad in her hunting gear.

Eve is so unconsciously wary of her shoulder that most often she doesn't take off her jacket in the presence of others but right now it just itched.

Her shoulder was burning like that sizzling fire and she scratched it by rolling her shoulder against the tree but winced when her ribs pulled a certain way. She forgot those weren't fully healed yet.