Chapter 157

Eve's POV

Finally, we got this bus out of the way. It was a good idea to use the trucks to nudge it until it was off the path and we could get the cars through. There's a slight dent in the front of my truck now though.

I came up beside Rick after parking my truck.

"Okay, let's get the other car in. We'll park 'em in the West entry of the yard." He turned in different directions, looking around while he organized everything in his head.

I nodded, glancing up to the yard as well as Daryl came up next to me.

"Good." He tossed a set of keys at Rick. "Our vehicles camped out there look like a giant 'vacancy' sign."

"After that, we need to load up these corpses so we can burn 'em." Rick motioned around at the bodies in the grass.

"Gonna be a long day." T commented and I nodded, fist bumping him as a strange little way of saying 'let's get started'. I don't know exactly when we started doing that but we've all been doing it all day. Since we were woken up two hours ago and brought outside against our will to do things adults have to do. Like keep track of our belongings and make sure our cars don't get jacked.

"Where's Glenn & Maggie. We could use some help." Carol asked, walking up after parking the truck.

"Up in the guard tower." Daryl pointed, letting his hand swing as it came back down.

"Guard tower? They were just up there last night." Rick glanced at us in mild disbelief.

Daryl cupped his hand over his mouth, half-stepping forward and shouted, "Glenn! Maggie!"

The door at the top of the tower opened and Glenn poked his head out.

"Hey... what's up guys?" He called down, trying and failing to do up his pants, awkwardly half hiding behind the door.

"You cumming?" Daryl called up.

My eyebrows jumped to my hairline as Rick and I both looked at Daryl from either side of him. He just stood there grinning and kept his eyes on Glenn, trying not to laugh.

"What?" Glenn struggled to put his belt back on.

I snorted so hard it hurt and made me cough and Carol & T snickered behind me, trying to keep their chuckles down and to themselves.

"You cumin'?" Daryl repeated.

Glenn just stared at him, confused and half turned towards the door like he's looking to Maggie for help but she's still inside.

I can't handle this. I had to turn around, pinching my nose and still had trouble containing an all out wheezing fit of laughter.

"Come on, we could use a hand." Daryl motioned and everyone turned around to get back to what we're doing and I got about 10 steps before I finally lost it and broke into a fit of giggles that broke Carol and Rick too who'd been doing much better than me at containing it.

It was Glenn's face! When Daryl said — and how confused he was...

I gasped for air, trying to stop picturing it.

"Hey, Rick." T-Dog's serious voice called behind us and the 4 of us stopped and looked back.

My smile died as I followed his gaze up to the upper yard. Where 3 prisoners stand at the fence.

"Come with me." Rick spoke sternly, like someone took a dump in a bucket and told him it was chocolate ice cream.

The light atmosphere faded like morning fog and I sighed, rubbing my eyes.