Chapter 137

"How do you know this stuff?" Eve questioned like 

"I went to high school." Maggie chuckled, folding her legs up to criss-cross and holding her ankles.

"So did I." Eve pouted, sinking into the seat.

"I've also been in relationships before." Maggie pointed out.

Eve opened her mouth and slowly closed it, nodding.

Maggie couldn't help smiling. "You should talk to him. This ain't gonna stop bothering ya till you do."

Eve swallowed, feeling nauseous at just the thought of how awkward that conversion will be.

Maybe she'll go for a run first.

"The longer you wait, the worse it'll be." Maggie pressed and Eve shifted away, putting her knees up and pinching her hands between them.

"Have you ever dated anyone before?" Maggie leaned her elbow on the armrest and put her chin in her palm.

Eve shook her head.

"Really?"

Eve gave her a 'is that so surprising' look and Maggie shrugged, exhaling a sigh. "I figured you might've at some point, I mean how old are you?"

"Elevendy one." Eve answered immediately.

Maggie snorted, cracking up.

'She has a great smile.' Eve smiled. "Apparently not as old as you though. You sound like a baby boomer. Never been in a relationship at your age? Why I never," Eve mocked, putting her palm against her chest like she's personally offended at someone else's life choices.

Maggie started to wheeze, giggling uncontrollably and the sound spurred Eve's own laugh. Both of them loud and bubbly and underused these days.

When the girls finally calmed down, Glenn & Randall came in to see what was so funny. The girls waved it off but Eve motioned for them to take a seat. Join the conversation. And yes it's absolutely to get out of talking about the situation she's found herself in. All because of a stupid frozen puddle.

The atmosphere took a serious turn once again when Glenn suddenly asked, "How long do you think we'll be able to stay here?"

"As long as it's safe." Maggie answered but Eve shook her head.

"Until the resources run out." She shifted to lean on her elbow. "Can only stay so long before it's drained."

"Unless we could make it livable, right? There's a garden out back, the house has walls and a gate."

'Oh Glenn, I envy your hopeful mind. I hope you never lose that.' Eve unfortunately has to burst his bubble though. "There's no water. As soon as those pallets we found are gone, we'll have no choice."

Glenn sighed, letting his head thunk back and stared at the ceiling. "Dammit. I really like this place."

Maggie sighed. "Me too."

"Me three." Randall sighed.

Eve shrugged, "Too much ice."

Maggie and Glenn both burst out laughing and Randall smiled in complete confusion. "I don' get it."

Eve straightened her legs and propped them up on the coffee table and point at her head making a circle and made a 'crazy' whistle.

Randall smiled wider and let it go.

Eve's really glad she stood up for the kid. Glad the others gave him a chance, even if they haven't totally warmed up to him yet.

 Glad the others gave him a chance, even if they haven't totally warmed up to him yet

"I knew you'd keep stalling, so I told Daryl to meet you upstairs."

'You what!?' Eve looked like she was gonna bolt and Glenn gave her a cheeky smile.

"Go on. It won't be as bad as you're imagining. I promise." he nudged her forward, almost pushing her up the stairs.

"It's just a talk Eve. You don't have to look like you're being sent to the gallows." he chuckled, and took Maggie's hand, leading her into the living room where most of the others are gathered.

Eve's eyes followed them, flickering down to their hands and just trying to quantify their dynamic or something — she's not sure what she's doing or really looking at to be honest. Just ... them. They're so good together and have been since the moment they met. But she — for the life of her — can't figure out how they did it.

And they're not the best teachers either. Maggie was a little more insightful (sorry Ace), but Eve's mind keeps wandering back to books and TV and all the cheesy things you hear about. Like how people met and stuff but she has a sucky feeling that this is one of those things you just can't really teach or explain. It's something that has to be experienced. And isn't that just dandy.

Eve may or may not have dragged her feet as she went upstairs but can you blame her?

She took deep breaths as she reached the 2nd floor, how is she even gonna start this conversation?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's short, I ran into a little snag and it took longer to work out so I didn't have enough time to make it longer.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow for more!

Support me on Patreon!

It's free to sign up, you can donate anywhere from 1 - 10 dollars a month, whatever you feel is fair.

Becoming a patron will give you access to things non-patrons don't get, like my monthly writing tips series and more in the future.

www.patreon.com/Miimaas