Chapter 153

Unedited.

"Ready?" Rick asked as he pulled the carabiner off the gate and pushed it.

T-Dog and I moved in first and took out the 2 walkers that were right inside the gate. The 6 of us stayed in a tight circle formation our backs facing each other and following Rick at the front middle; letting the walkers come to us one by one.

Hershel closed the gate behind us as our presence on this side of the fence drew the attention of everything on the inside of it.

"Get tight! Get tight!" Glenn pressed as the walkers closed in, forcing us to get closer or risk one person getting two walkers on them instead of just one. This strategy only works if all of us deal with 1 at a time.

Shouting and clanging erupted from the fences to my left, the others trying to distract and lure walkers their way and make it so we're not dealing with all of them ourselves.

Walkers came at us in all directions as we moved forward and anxiety chewed at my nerves but good luck getting through those steel cords of pure willpower and focus. I cultivated these puppies properly.

I made my strikes quick and deadly, dropping bodies as we moved further in one step at a time until we got about halfway in.

"Don't break rank!" Rick yelled as T-Dog split off.

"We need that!" T grabbed a riot shield off the ground.

"T! T!" Rick shouted as a walker went for T-Dog but he slammed the shield against it sending the walker sprawling onto the ground and ran back to his place up front.

"Maggie! Maggie!" Rick shouted as the brunette split just like T-Dog and shoved a butcher's knife through the walker's head.

I covered for her while she made it back to the circle and we continued forward.

"Almost there." we all moved under a fenced overhead walk that leads from one building to the next, and towards the fence in the back corner of the upper yard; where the walkers have been disappearing and reappearing from since yesterday.

Rick checked behind a rusted orange metal door and went to move forward before suddenly throwing his back against the building and before he could even motion at the rest of us, we were already slamming shoulders against the cement building.

All except Daryl, at the back, who pulled his crossbow up.

I gripped my knives tighter, getting a little concerned about how much blood is on my hands.

I looked up and wanted to smash something.

2 walkers in black full body gear wandered out from behind a dumpster in the far corner and started heading this way.

What is this, a video game? Encountering tougher and tougher mobs as we get closer to the goal.

Daryl moved past me, trying to get close enough to take them out with his bow but I grabbed the side of his jacket as two more walked out right in front of us, and another pair from inside that door Rick checked — clearly not well enough.

I swung my knife first without even thinking and my stomach lurched as it bounced and slid straight off the riot mask.

I stumbled backwards, my instincts leading me as far away from it as possible and just kite it if I can, until I can figure out how to kill it.

"Daryl!" Rick yelled as he rushed one of the geared up walkers and tackled it to the ground into a pile of broken cardboard boxes.

I ducked around this walker and covered Daryl as we ran to Rick. I watched their backs while they got the gate closed and locked, the same way we did the other one yesterday.