Chapter 119

I peeked over the top of a rack, spotting the kids and nothing short of a devious little smile spread across my face.

I grinned like the Cheshire cat, turning my feet sideways and planted my toes into the ground, ready.

Glenn's POV

"Guys" I snapped my fingers, quickly getting the attention of the others around me — T-Dog, Hershel, and Daryl — and pointed into the clothes store.

"Ah Hell" Daryl almost growled a sigh, rubbing his eyes. He knows that posture — we all do by now. When I met Eve, I never would have guessed how much she likes to mess with people. Sometimes it makes me wonder if she was a prankster in school. I honestly can't see her not being one.

"What does she think she's doin'?" Daryl grumbled and T-Dog shook his head, smiling and crossed his arms, leaning back against the car so we can watch the show from our near perfect view through the dirty shop windows. Eve on one side of a row of clothes, the unassuming Beth, Randall, and Carl on the other.

Lori just taking notice of Eve from the other side of the kids and smiling a little to herself.

Eve raised the coats above her head, biggest first, pulling her arm back as her tongue poked out over the top corner of her lip — the same way Maggie's does when she's concentrating; Eve doing it only when she's being mischievous from what I've seen.

I smiled, pulling myself up onto the hood and leaning back on my hands. Hershel chuckled already.

You know how people say things 'happened in slow motion'? This happened so fast I don't even know what I saw.

One minute she had the coats, the next they were flying over the rack and then all three kids suddenly had coats hitting them in the face/head.

Then the exact moment Eve's face said it all. The 'oh shit RUN' face and then just...

I have never seen someone so injured, move so fast.

She came flying out of the store like Usain Bolt — Carl on her heels and being the only one of the three who went after her.

I think Randall might have if his leg wasn't still messed up, cause I saw him go to but he winced almost immediately and grabbed the rack next to him.

Eve though, she hit the door open so fast it swung her out.

I watched her tear off into the small parking lot, dashing around cars, trying to stay ahead of the youngest of our group.

She peeled around a car and suddenly stopped as the kid reached the other side.

Hands slammed on the hood and the older brunette had a standoff with the younger. Both standing on either side of the hood, giving playful eyes to one another.

"You can almost hear the old western music." T-Dog's comment made me — and the others watching — snort, watching the two take micro-steps in either directions when one of them moves.

Eve suddenly faked the kid out and while he went one way for half a second, she went the other and zoomed past us — me quickly throwing my hand out to high five her before she was 30 feet away ripping open the bookstore door and almost running right smack into Rick — who she practically spun around to dodge.

Carl raced past us to the door, before they both disappeared from our sight; leaving everyone else to laugh.

I glanced up at the windows on the top floor and saw her briefly run by the window, before my attention came back down to the other two victims heading out of the store and looking around.

"That way." Hershel chuckled, pointing to the store and we watched them go, before getting back to what we were doing.

I smiled even more when I caught the tiniest smile on Daryl's face as he walked away to do whatever he was doing.

"That girl is some kind of blessing." Hershel muttered to himself, smiling.

The bookstore door swung open again, almost hitting the outside wall and all three kids right behind her and ran straight for Daryl.

Daryl just barely turned right as she ran behind him.

"What are ya doin?" Daryl tried to look over his shoulder, under his arm, behind him in any way but Eve kept ringing around him while the others chased her until Daryl finally just planted his feet and stood still and it was like someone pressed paused.

All of them stopped, Eve standing behind him; looking a little like she's heaving.

But while Daryl was ending this game, I looked a little closer at her hands.

She's got one on Daryl's shoulder and another, subtly placed on her ribs.

She looks like she's breathing really hard. What is she looking at?

She was looking at the kids over Daryl's shoulder a second ago but now she's....

I followed her eyes to something on the ground but I can't see it very well from here.

I took a couple steps to get closer, trying to see what it is before Rick called out behind me, "Glenn."

"Huh? What?" I turned.

"I need you and T." he motioned at us.

I looked back at Eve but she's not looking at the thing anymore.

"Yeah sure." I looked at her for another few seconds but she looks... fine again. Smiling at the kids over Daryl's shoulder, mouth closed, lips in a line.

I followed Rick but that strange little feeling that something wasn't right with her in that moment is sticking with me, and for the next half hour while we were all getting settled into the upstairs while the sun went down, I kept an eye on her (after she, Daryl, and Rick came upstairs from securing the doors and windows downstairs to make sure we'd all be safe here tonight).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

Srry it's a little short, I was out most of the day and ran out of time.