Chapter 30

I don't know when it was, but at some point I must have fallen asleep on the couch because I opened my eyes to sunlight.

It's early. Very early.

Standing up, I swayed a bit before regaining my balance.

Every muscle in my body is sore but I languidly made my way to Carl's room anyway.

Lori and Rick sat next to him in the chairs, they look like they haven't moved since last night, while Hershel was checking his blood pressure once again.

Relief flooded my chest, rushing out in a sigh at the sight of Carl's open eyes. He's finally awake.

"They're here" T-Dog rushed up behind me, startling me.

Rick's gaze met mine and I nodded, already knowing what he wanted.

I took their place by Carl's side, letting them go inform the others just arriving.

Alone, I sat down next to Carl, toeing off my shoes and put my feet up on the bed, next to his cold toes.

Carl stared at me for a bit before asking, "What happened to your hands?"

I made a climbing motion and he smiled.

"You fell, huh?" smiling all too knowingly for someone who's known me for less than a year, and was nowhere near me when it happened.

Making a mock offended face, I realized he was right and blew some of my hair out of my face in defeat.

You're going places kid. If it were possible to be so, you're too smart for your own good.

-

Carl and I talked— interacted for a while, until he fell asleep again. I didn't realize how exhausted this whole ordeal has been until now.

It's hard to believe all this happened in the span of a single day.

Rick came back in a few minutes after Carl drifted off; Although to be honest I thought he was Daryl with how heavy his footfalls are.

It's amazing what blood loss and exceeding stress will do to a person in such a short period.

"We're having a funeral for Otis...would you mind staying with Carl?"

I nodded without hesitation. I don't think I could stand long enough for a funeral if I tried.

He and Lori both should be at the funeral. Otis saved their child, the least they can do is see him off. Pay their respects. But Carl can't be left alone; God forbid something else happens.

-

Carl woke up again while they were gone and I sat up, letting my feet fall.

I watched him look around the room before he fixed on me again. I smiled and moved some of his hair off his forehead. He's in desperate need of a wash up. Not that I'm much better.

"Where's my dad?"

I glanced at the door, biting the inside of my cheek. I ran my tongue over my lip, looking back at him.

...He doesn't need to know about the funeral yet. It can wait until he's recovered a bit more. Last thing he needs is guilt on top of worry on top of injury.

When he's on his feet again we can take him to the grave, if he wants.

The corner of my lip lifted and I pointed to the door; hoping he takes it to mean he's just in the other room.

He doesn't push it, though for a second he bit his lip looking at the door like he wanted to.

-