Chapter 186

Buckle up and wait to read until you've got some time, because this is somewhere around 8200 words. 👌

The engine of Daryl's motorcycle rumbled as he put his feet on the ground, walking them until the bike came to a full stop

Eve's hands pressed down on his shoulders as she lifted herself off the bike and the subtle 'shing' of newly sharpened blades permeated the quiet air at the front of an old grain warehouse that lay halfway between Woodbury and the Prison.

Daryl revved the engine a few times as the other car drove up behind them before he parked, hoping to draw out any walkers that were nearby but nothing, so he grabbed his crossbow as Rick got off the car.

There's no sign of any other cars or anyone else being here, with any luck they've arrived first, but even Carl would know better than to take that on faith.

Eve nodded at Hershel who was driving, and he got his gun ready.

She spun her knives in her hands, watching their 6 as she followed Rick and Daryl between the massive metal cylinders that once stored mostly animal feed and seeds for farmers.

The smell of rust was littered through the stale air as they went between them and out the other side.

There was one large warehouse with 2 entrances on either side, and several smaller shed-like buildings around the outside but all of it was falling apart. It seemed this place hadn't been in a little longer than just the last year of mother-nature's necromancy.

The three of them jogged through the grass as they went around the back of the buildings, but it was disturbingly quiet here. The faint sound of birds and other woodland creatures was reassuring for no walkers but not another 30 feet when they found a dead walker on the ground.

It was only one but still.

There might be fewer walkers in this area, but Daryl knelt down to check it and one glance up at the two of them meant it was fresh.

Rick spotted the back entrance of the main warehouse, it wasn't a huge building on its own, but it was still a decent size.

Rick motioned at the two of them and received two nods before the three of them naturally split from each other.

Eve went around the left side, closest to the tree line that went right up to the edge of the building, her knives best suited for this sort of enclosed combat space — even more so than Daryl's crossbow. Rick took the building, intending on clearing it before the Governor's people get here; And Daryl took the right side, his crossbow best suited for an open space.

Daryl made it all the way to the side of the building near a broken window before he heard voices from inside and stopped.

Neither were very loud but one of them was distinctly Rick's and as he carefully peeked through the window, he saw Rick standing on a raised platform in the center of the warehouse beside a table, the Governor himself standing opposite of him with a "friendly" smile laced with poison, that failed to disguise the malevolent glint in his one good eye; the other covered with a black eyepatch.