Chapter 70

Daryl's POV

My eyes peeled open and the first thing that came to my attention other than the light was muttering next to me.

I turned and jumped finding a mass of dark hair scattered over a head that was buried face down in her arms. "If it's too cold, run outside and jump in the snow. Then it will be colder and the fish will be pleased."

"The hell?" I sat up and reached over, carefully picking a clump of brown hair off her face. Nope, she is asleep.

I glanced outside where the mud was slowly becoming solid again instead of sludge.

It must'a rained all night.

Pulling my knees up, I grabbed my boots from the corner; almost putting Eve's shoe on before realizing the shoe is black and not just covered in mud like mine.

Eve groaned in a sleepy whine, shifting, and dragged her face across the ground as she turned her head the other direction.

If I don't get her up while she's somewhat awake now, she'll keep sleepin' for who knows how long.

"Ey" I tapped her side with my knuckles.

"Mmm" she groaned again, curling but didn't give any indication of being awake let alone getting up.

"You don't get up now, ur gonna miss breakfast."

I started as her head snapped up, hair tangled over her face in a way that gave me serious deja vu. She tried to push it out of her way but it only tangled further and the more she did, the more it looks like the swamp monster's return.

"Stop, ur only makin it worse. Just sit up." I pushed her boots towards her.

She sighed, before pushing herself up, surfer style and pulled her knees in front of her to grab her boots.

I got up, ducking out of the tent while she put her shoes on and went to check on my game that was strung up on a line between two trees.

Eve came out a minute later, untangling a hair tie from the tangles and whipped her hair around before trying to pull it back.

I watched in amusement for a good five minutes while she tried to fight with it but it was just not having it and finally she huffed, pulling her knife.

"What are you doing?" I watched with a skeptical gaze as she grabbed a fist full of her hair, raising the knife to it.

She paused to look at me, before grumbling. "A haircut's in order."

"Why don' you just ask Carol or one a 'em to cut it?"

She stopped right as she was about to sheer herself. Staring at the tangled mess she pursed her lips and nodded, sheathing the blade.

"You comin?" I scooped up my crossbow and started towards camp. Eve right behind me.

We walked in silence over uneven ground, Eve stretching as we went. Her bones cracking, and little noises of relief after stretching a stiff muscle. Right up until we reached the path near the barn, following it up towards camp.

When we got closer, people were already up and about and Carl waved. I saw Eve wave back out of the corner of my eye, while she raised her other hand to cover a yawn.

She tensed next to me and I craned my neck as her pace slowed, lightening her step to the point where it might as well be erased.

Her eyes steeled, narrowing just the slightest. Careful observance spreading through the vivid amber color. The way it does when she's being cautious.

I followed her line of sight to Shane, leant against a tree.

She's being wary at this distance? We ain't even made it to the edge of camp yet.

She's been doing this for awhile now, and I don't think she realizes either.

I slowed, glancing at her again as we came up on Carol & Lori cooking breakfast at the fire.

Eve ruffled Carl's hair as she sat down next to the kid.

Carol handed Eve a plate and she inhaled 'er food as always. She was done in under a minute.

I didn't pay much attention as she put 'er plate in the wash tub, before disappearing somewhere and comin' back a minute later with a pair a scissors.

I watched from my seat while Eve practically mimed what she wanted, as usual.

Last night was weird. It was almost like when she was drunk. It's weird seein' her flip back and forth.

Half the time I almost forget she don't talk much, the other half I expect 'er to just speak.

Sometimes I wonder why she does it. Why she only talks to me. I ain't no chatty cathy neither.

Eve's POV

I sat on the log with a towel around my neck, trying not to fidget too much.

I'm so glad I got these scissors for Lori back at the quarry— I'm glad she asked me to find some when me & Glenn went out. Haircuts are not really a top priority when it comes to survival, but in a way they are. They play a role.

Too long, it's easy to grab. Too short it's easier to lose heat, and your neck is exposed to the elements, bugs, the sun.

That's why I'm trying not to flinch while the woman with a very sharp pair of scissors is near my neck, while she cuts my shoulder-blade length dark hair, to leaving the end just brushing up against the top of my shoulders.

Enough to keep me warm. Enough to cover my neck, keep it protected. Still long enough to put up. Unfortunately that also means it's long enough to be pulled still but not anything like before. If it's within grabbing distance now, I'm already in trouble.

It's not that I don't trust Lori, it's just... having someone I can't see, near my neck, with a blade of any sort is not a feeling that sits easy with me.

Lori moved my head for the 3rd time, chuckling in a fond tone. "Gosh, you're almost as bad as Carl."

Daryl snorted and I pulled my bottom eyelid down, sticking my tongue out at him; which caused Carl to erupt in a fit of giggles and Carol to smile just before Rick came walking up.

His eyebrow quirked with a hint of smile. "Get tired of havin' it long?"

I shrugged

"Something like that" Daryl's face contorted with a wicked amused smirk. "Should'a seen her trynna get it off 'er face earlier"

I sent dagger eyes towards him, but the tight pinching of my lips, trying to suppress a smile probably ruined it. And as evident by another round of laughs at my expense, it did.

Rick returned to somewhat serious. Uh oh. I know that stance.

"When yer done here, I have a favor to ask. If yer not busy."

I blinked and shook my head. Lori gasped and I jumped before she grabbed my noggin.

"Evelyn Rider."

I froze. Unintentionally puffing out my cheeks, as I watched in the corner of my eye for Lori.

"Good girl" I heard snipping again, and started breathing again.

Rick chuckled. "I'll meet you down by the barn after ur done." And there he goes. Off to do leader things.

Daryl finished his food, and stood up; pulling his crossbow over his shoulders. "Let's go hunt after ur chat."

I gave an okay sign this time, very nearly forgetting again but I remembered, and that's all that counts.