Chapter 46

I smiled and gave Carl a wink as his mother passed him by to continue whatever she has to do before we take off for gun practice today.

"Alright." Rick sighed, like a weight had been taken off his shoulders. Fighting with your spouse like that can't be easy. Especially when it comes to your kid.

"Now all we gotta do is decide who'll teach who. Who do we have that already knows how to shoot?" Rick turned back to us, putting a hand on his son's shoulder. Almost like a, 'congratulations for winning an argument with your mother'.

"Present company excluded we've got, T-Dog, Glenn, Lori, and Daryl." Shane listed.

"Daryl's outta commission, so that leaves us with 3, 4...6 possible instructors." Dale interjected.

"Have you ever taught anyone how to shoot?" Rick looked at me.

I gave him a deadpan stare and just blinked.

I hate to burst your bubble, sweetie, but I'm a better shot than you are. You may have been a police officer before, but I had an awful lot of free time, not much of a social life, and a fondness for the range near my place.

"Okay, then." Rick's amused tone was accompanied by a head shake.

He is just gettin' trampled by women today. First Beth & Patricia, then Lori, now me.

"We only need to train 5 or 6 people, I'd say we've got all the instructors we need." Shane rubbed his shaved head.

"Let's get goin' then." Rick nodded. "Dale, I want you to stay behind, hold down the fort while we're gone."

Dale nodded, readjusting the rifle on his shoulder.

-

Agh, the ride here was so bumpy. I got out of the car and stretched my shoulders. We drove off road for like a mile to get here.

It wasn't a particularly long ride, but it wasn't a comfortable one.

Apparently Shane and I think it was Andrea, found this sight during their search.

It's a fairly secluded area. It's got several yards of space between the fence and treeline of the woods. The grassy hill behind this old wood fence acts as a natural backstop for the bullets.

It really is perfect for this. The only drawback is, we've gotta watch our backs against the trees for walkers we might attract.

We should count our blessings, there aren't many walkers this far out from the major cities. I don't imagine many get the chance to somewhat safely practice shooting nowadays.

"'Ey, help us set these up along the fence" T-dog handed me a crate of old bottles and glass jars without even waiting for me to fully turn.

Since when did we have these? I don't recall going on a container hunt.

I walked towards the far end of the fence, and set the crate down near a 'Do Not Enter' sign on the fence. You know, this fence kinda looks like the type horses jump.

I started setting them atop the thick fence, spacing them 1-2 feet apart. When my crate was finished off, I took it back to the cars and tossed it in the trunk with the rest.

Everybody's pairing off with instructors already. Rick & Shane already taking Carl, Lori, Beth, and Patricia to their starting positions, several feet from their targets; almost exactly between the treeline and the fence.

I motioned at Andrea before she could be snatched up by someone else, but it didn't look like anyone was going for her anyway(I don't know why the Hell not). T already paired off with Jimmy and Rick and Shane have got their hands full.