Chapter 58

I sat on the porch steps, staring at the dirt on my hands. The little bits of red mixed and congealing over previously almost healed cuts.

My sore throat stretched with every breath; hoarse. Not that you could tell.

The skin under my eyes tight, pulling every blink. My face is probably still red, but I've been sitting in the sun. Hopefully it'll be mistaken for a sunburn if anyone sees.

I don't think I've ever cried like that for someone. Not even myself.

...Never again.

Never again will I allow myself to be distracted from watching, never again will I second guess my instinct. Never again will my safety come before theirs.

The time for tears is over.

I scrubbed a hand over my face, taking a deep breath.

I jerked as smashing glass crashed inside the house.

In less than a second, I was on my feet running through the front door, knives in hand.

I ran through to the kitchen, finding Glenn and Maggie crouched on the floor beside Beth. Broken dishes scattered across the wood floor around them.

"Beth!" Maggie shook her sister. "Beth, what's wrong!?"

Her sister didn't respond, her eyes didn't even move; honestly she looks like an actor on TV whose just "died".

"We need to find my dad" Maggie looked at me.

I nodded and ran for the hall.

Glenn's footsteps followed me, taking the hallway, shouting. "Hershel!"

I grabbed the railing of the staircase as I swung around to the front of it, taking the steps two at a time until I reached the top.

I searched every room on the upper floor, to no avail, before running back down the stairs; jumping the last four steps.

Glenn almost ran straight into me coming back from down the hall.

I stopped last second, jerking back at the same time Glenn turned his shoulders, to avoid each other as I let him run past and out the front door, briefly shouting, "I'll go get help!"

I rushed back to the kitchen where Maggie was on her knees beside her sister.

I took a quick breath, and moved forward. I doubt Maggie's capable of deadlifting her sister off the floor.

I motioned for her to move before grabbing Beth's hands and pulled until the girl was in an upright position.

I braced her torso on my shoulder, ducking my head underneath her arm, before pulling and leaning back onto my heels at the same time.

Maggie's hands came around her sister, helping me lift as I braced my hands on the floor and stood up.

I groaned getting to my full height, before wrapping my arms around the girl's legs, while most of her bodyweight sat over my shoulder.

"Her bedroom?" I turned to look at Maggie, around Beth; being careful not to knock her dangling head on anything.

"Uh— this way." Maggie came around in front of me, and I followed her through the house. The wood floors creaking under my & Beth's weight, which made a strange uncomfortable feeling blossom in my gut.

Glenn came back as soon as I laid Beth down, and stepped aside to let Maggie be by her side.

"I couldn't find Hershel" Glenn panted out of breath, eyes frantic as he looked at me.