Chapter 182

Read on my website?  www.miimaas.com

Consider buying me a Ko-fi or find me on Patreon! @miimaas

Rick yelled as he struggled, trying to push the walker back before an arrow pierced the skull in front of him

Daryl slid another arrow out as Merle rushed forward, yelling as he stabbed a piece of rebar through the skull of the one Rick arm-barred against the fence.

Rick didn't have time to give it a single thought before another one came at him and he hit it in the face. Merle grabbed another one coming from his side and beat it to death with his metal stump while Daryl quickly reloaded.

Rick turned to face two more on his right and something in him that he hadn't known was tense, relaxed as another bolt sailed through the closest one's skull and let Rick catch his breath before he dealt with the last one.

As soon as the danger passed again, Rick met Daryl's eyes and the two shared a nod. Then Merle's 'heheh' behind darkened Rick's mood in an instant. The grim truth of knowing he doesn't have a choice but to bring him in this time.

The three of them turned towards the fence and stared heavily at the field that was already swarming with walkers, more streaming through the broken gate by the minute.

Daryl didn't waste another second, heading straight for the opening in the fence and leaned his crossbow against the chain-link while he undid the cord binding the hole shut.

Merle sneered at Rick, "Nice to see ya again, officer friendly." but other than that he was unusually quiet, not pushing his luck, which didn't put Rick's nerves at ease in the slightest but it sure as Hell gave Daryl's a rest.

Once they got into the fence, they laced it up behind them quickly and made their way through the fenced path to the lower gate. Only a single gate standing between them and a space that used to be safe, now blocking their usual way of getting back up to the others.

They were right to keep all these individual gates locked even though it was a bit of a pain to unlock them every time.

"Go across and up to the other tower." Rick and Daryl shared an understanding look, words weren't needed between them for this, Daryl said them more for Merle's benefit.

Rick unlocked the gate and closed it behind them as the three brandished their weapons and ran directly across to the other side. The brothers protected Rick while he unlocked the other side and slammed the gate shut behind them, locking it behind them as Daryl ran ahead on the enclosed path, up towards the other guard tower. A small pool of blood had gathered on the ground, dripping from above where the body of a gunman laid, his rifle having fallen to the ground.

Daryl avoided the puddle while Merle grabbed the rifle and Daryl got the outer door to the guard tower open as Rick caught up, also avoiding the puddle, casting a brief glance upwards to the source. As soon as Daryl got the inner door open and the three of them got to the safety of the upper courtyard, where the others were getting out of the truck they had just let through the gate.