Chapter 154

3rd Person POV

Eve rolled onto her side and hid her eyes from the light in Daryl's shoulder.

Daryl looked at her and tried not to move too much, keeping her eyes hidden so she can rest.

Eventually her breaths evened out and he risked shifting a little to check if she was still awake. He moved some of her hair off the side of her neck and let her sleep; trying to get a little rest himself. They've still got other stuff to do today.

A few hours passed before Rick decided they're gonna go farther in and Daryl put his hand on her shoulder, gently shaking her

Eve wasn't really asleep anymore, she was already in that pseudo-awake phase just before actual consciousness but like when you're just aware enough to refuse to wake up.

Daryl shook her again and she groaned, not wanting to get up. What good is the apocalypse if you can't sleep in? But eventually she cracked her eyes and rolled off the bed instead of getting up, almost rolling herself straight down the staircase if Daryl hadn't been standing there to stop her with his knees.

Eve finally got up, refusing to open her eyes all the way as they went downstairs to the room outside the cell block and geared up.

People were talking but Eve wasn't really listening as she fixed her arms up with some of the riot gear padding. She doesn't really need anything for protection other than arms and chest. It's always good to have some more armor on her arms and hands because they got into 'danger zones' a lot.

The one thing she did catch was Daryl saying "I ain't wearin' this shit." as he picked up a riot helmet and a piece of slimy scalp dropped out like a cracked egg.

Eve's stomach rolled and she cleared her throat to avoid gagging.

Carol came out to call Hershel back in for a minute, probably for Lori's checkup.

After we all finished putting on our new fancy~ accessories. We headed for the locked door that should lead to the rest of the cell blocks, deeper into the prison.

Thankfully nothing and no one greeted us, but it's so dark down here you wouldn't be able to tell if it was night or die.

Daryl, Rick and I went first with Glenn, Maggie, T-dog, and Hershel covering behind us marking our path with spray paint arrows so we don't get lost — which would be all too easy.

It's disturbingly quiet down here and smells like roadkill in a meat locker without power.

Unlike the others Eve pointed her flashlight at the ceiling, letting the light bounce off and put the whole corridor into a dim light instead of being able to see a single spot really well. The others however, continued to aim their lights normally.