Chapter 41

Eve's POV

Oh damn, I can smell the food from here.

I jumped the fence to the farm instead of going all the way around and undoing the gate, I don't have the patience for that right now.

I don't know how everyone does it. I can't idle like they do.

I have to keep moving— be doing something; Occupy my brain or my body, I can't just sit unless that's my task. If that makes sense.

I can keep watch and sit still as stone when I'm hiding but that's part of what I'm supposed to be doing. My patience isn't lacking, my ability to more or less stand down, is iffy at best.

When every second counts, I—...I can't let my mind wander to cold places, or begin to question my resolve. I might not get it back.

Exhausted, my feet dragged themselves as I walked through my strangely deserted camp.

I peeked in a tent or two, but there's not even someone on the RV, taking watch. The fire isn't lit. Where is everyone?

Looking around, my eyes landed on the house. The lights are on up there, so there must be somebody here.

Oh God, please don't tell me they went looking. Nothing good ever comes from any one of them going into the forest to search for either me, or Daryl.

I made my way up to the house with my lead legs and tried to jog up the porch steps. Big mistake.

Reaching the top step, my boot caught on the top stair and I nearly went face first into the screen door.

My hands flew up reflexively; smacking against the door frame before my cheek made contact.

My breath fogged on the glass of the screen door. That was a close one.

Straightening, I glanced around to make sure no one saw that before I went inside and saw Maggie, Beth, Jimmy, and Glenn sniggering my way.

I stuck my tongue out at them as I got closer. Everyone was in the dining room eating dinner.

Why wasn't I told about Thanksgiving? Although, I don't remember it being November. I could be mistaken what with the apocalypse and all, but I could've sworn it was—

"Welcome back" Rick turned, setting his fork down.

I nodded in acknowledgement, taking notice of the strange relief on their faces.

Kay I know my last few days haven't exactly been the most reassuring display of skill, but there's no reason for this amount of disconcert in my few hours of absence.

"We weren't sure when you'd be back, so I left you a plate in the kitchen." Carol pointed over her shoulder.

I flashed a grateful smile and gave her shoulder a thankful pat as I made my way across the room and to the kitchen.

I grabbed the plate off the counter, along with a fork and guzzled my water before going back into the other room.

"Does anybody know how to play guitar?" Glenn asked, half turned in his seat to face the rest of the adults lining the room. I'm sorry Glenn, but you sit at the kiddie table with the rest of the under 25-ers.

The silence he was met with was awkward even for me.

Something happen I don't know about? I've only been gone a few hours and everyone here looks like someone spit in the juice.