Chapter 149

Glenn and Maggie ran across the street to get the others while Daryl and I watched the house, and a few minutes later the whole group were busy bees getting re-setup in the new house. This one is smaller but let's be honest, it feels more comfortable even if it didn't have the fireplace.

"Ey, come give me a hand with this." Daryl jerked his head towards the dining room and I nodded, following.

I raised an eyebrow when he picked up a dining room chair and laid it on the ground, putting his boot on the leg and stomped down (Dixon specialty) until it broke off.

Oookay then. Not quite sure what we're doing but alright.

I grabbed a chair and followed suit, although when I went to stomp the leg off, it took me like 4 tries vs Daryl's 2 to break it. And I had to practically jump on it, not just step down.

I reached down to pick up one of the legs, almost panting. 'What are these chairs made of, nokia phones?'

I feel like I'm becoming weaker, and clumsier. What's going on with me? Where's my head at these days?

"What d'ya think?" Daryl asked, looking at our pile of destroyed kitchen chairs. "Think it'll be enough for the night?"

Wait — I'm dumb. It's for the fireplace.

I looked at our pile and my face scrunched, shaking my hand. It might but we don't know how fast this stuff is gonna burn or how long it'll last. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Daryl looked around but there's not much else here we could actually toss in there.

"We could do the shelves in the living room too." Daryl suggested.

We both turned when the front door opened, my heart beating a little faster with the flicker of a thought that it could be trouble but it settled as familiar voices carried through the house.

A few seconds later, Glenn came through the doorway.

"Hey w— ...what are you guys doing?" His eyes wandered the floor of splinters just waiting to happen. It looks like someone throwing a temper tantrum took a baseball bat to the dining room.

"To burn." Daryl answered, picking up a leg that's still mostly intact.

Glenn nodded, mouth forming an 'O'. "Is that gonna be enough? It looks a little... little."

"Probably not. We'll do the shelves too," Daryl moved past me.

"You know I think I saw some wood under the deck out back." Maggie came around the doorway, behind Glenn. She must've been close enough to hear the conversation.

Actual wood would be best but if it's outside it's probably wet.

"It's probably wet, but grab T and let's bring it inside anyway." Daryl motioned at us.

Maggie grabbed T-dog and the 5 of us went out back to collect our water logs. We'll just have to hope there's nothing on these logs that will burn and mix with the air and cause problems.

I'm not sure about what what types, but I know there's certain kinds of plants and stuff that will produce toxic fumes if burned. I don't know if there are any of them in this area — or even this country but I know they exist, that's enough for me to be cautious about it. Warmth is a bigger issue though, they'll have to risk it.

"We could dry the wood by the fire while we burn the other stuff inside." T-Dog let Glenn load up his arms with wood.

I held the door with my foot for them, keeping a good grip on the wood in my hands as everyone fared the wood inside until we had enough to last the night.