Chapter 156

"It's gotta be the brain. Not the stomach, not the heart. The brain." Daryl shot a bolt through a walkers skull as it wandered around the corner into the doorway of the little cross-section room thing that we're all piled in.

"I hear you. The brain." Axel repeated. He's a little slow on the uptake but I would be concerned if they weren't.

These guys haven't had to do any killing yet, but they were prisoners. There's the entire possibility that one or more of them have killed someone before and I'm working on narrowing down who. Thomas is at the top of the list. Axel at the bottom.

I stood at the back next to Big Tiny, there's no way I'm letting anyone else watch our backs. Not with these guys who can't even kill walkers yet.

Oscar (the second biggest guy) stepped forward and whacked the next walker with the axe. "Like that?"

"Uh-huh" Daryl nodded as the man backed up, returning to formation.

I feel like a parent teaching kids how to ride bikes or swim. It's kinda refreshing in a way but not enough to negate the danger of them not being able to handle life-threatening situations.

The 4 of us are really putting our necks close to the branding iron to try and teach them here.

Maybe we should've started with the fences. Get them used to how you kill them and then graduate to 'when they're coming at you'.

I sighed. Oh well, too late now.

Rick stepped forward and stabbed a walker through the eyes, then moved back to his position. "Stay in tight formation, no more prison riot crap."

As more walkers came in, I noticed Big Tiny backing up.

Uh oh

I acted fast and grabbed a walker by the back of the jumpsuit and held it in place.

His scared eyes met mine and I nodded to the flailing walker, trying to watch my own back while I help him overcome the skittish behavior that could cost him a life. Either his own, or someone else's.

I looked back just as he whacked it with the hammer in his hand.

I let go as it dropped and gave the big man a thumbs up and an encouraging nod.

I'm weirdly proud of him, especially when he took the next walker that started coming from our left on his own without help.

It's been so long since I've seen anyone kill their first walker, it's easy to forget how difficult it used to be.

I stabbed a walker up through it's chin as it started getting a little too much for Tiny to handle on his own. He's doing well though.

Right as the thought crossed my mind, I spotted a walker behind him with a bloody claw in the air.

There's no time to warn him.

I threw my shoulder in the walker in front of me, pushing it forwards and the second I was far enough to get around him, I threw one of my knives.

The walker's arm whipped back as the blade severed it's fingers off and hit the concrete wall with a loud 'clang' bouncing off and hitting the ground with another.

Tiny whipped around, screaming as soon as he saw the walker right next to him with it's jaws snapping for his arm.

Rick swung around as soon as he heard the scream and rushed to kill the walker and help Tiny while I struggled with the one that's got its arms around me now, trying to take my ear off.