Chapter 126

I decided to slip that bedtime book into my backpack, for a rainy day, and take another look around the shelves just in case there's anything good.

It's nice actually to get to browse a little. I missed books. More than I realized.

Dale kept a few books in the RV. They weren't very good, but it was better than nothing. I think it'd be a good idea to carry that on.

Books might just provide the world-escape stress relieving a few of us desperately need.

A smile pulled at the corners of my lips. Carl looked so...engaged earlier when I was reading. Even when I looked at him, it was like he wasn't there, but in the world of the other story.

Daryl was quiet as always, but I've known him long enough now to know that he doesn't usually listen that intently.

I sighed contently for the first time it what feels like forever; glancing around the room at all of my group. My group.

A gentle, fond smile pulled up my lips while I wandered. It's weird how safe I feel here.

Surrounded by our sleepy little pack and buried deep in the rows of books.

I imagine this is how Daryl feels in the woods. Surrounded by the green and brown of the forest, the smell of ionized rain (hands down one of my favorite smells), the birds and little noises bringing a sense of peace.

That makes me really wanna read a fantasy book. With any luck, I'll be able to find something like The Wheel of Time, or Lord of the Rings, The Candy Shop War, Harry Potter, comic books — Ooooo it'd be awesome if I could find some Marvel comics.

I think Glenn & Carl might enjoy those too. 'Oh that is so happening, now.' I nodded to myself.

I turned back to the shelves, just barely noticing that I'd been looking out the window at the grey sky lining just above the trees. There'll probably be a storm soon.

I can already smell it, even indoors. The sound of trees rustling in the wind drifting through the thin glass panes of the dirty windows.

I haven't heard any thunder yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened any minute now.

It's hard to read some of these titles in the dark, but thankfully most books in this age have shimmery lettering. A play to catch people's attention to the title but it makes reading them now much easier.

'What the...' I pulled a book off the shelf, a pirate ship on the front, the shimmery gold title 'Pirate insults' gleaming like the gold of the treasure chest in the bottom corner.

I caught a brief glimpse of the Cheshire cat smile that took over my whole face, in the lettering.

20 minutes later and I made two piles. One stack is fairly small and those are the books that will be coming with me — I'm gonna need to search for a bigger backpack soon; something durable with lots of space but not too thick would be nice, like a military or swiss army, or travel pack — and the second stack of garbage we can burn. Like gossip rags, how to cross stitch, and the worst books of all time; of which shall not be named but I'm sure I'm not the only person out there who can think of a few.

We've already got a box of the useful books somewhere in all these supplies, but I picked up one or two informational books just cause I like them. One of them on Marine animals, and the other a human physiology textbook.

What? The human body fascinates me, ok.It's painful legitimately painful trying to choose. We don't have a lot of room for stuff like this.