Chapter 8

I'm gonna pass out.

My lungs feel like they've been squeezed of all moisture and used as kindling. My legs feel like they've got sandbags the size of tractor tires attached at the ankle. My throat's so dry it feels like it's bleeding and I can taste metallic, dirt, sand, dust, salt, you name it.

This couldn't even be considered running anymore. This is more like a heroin addict trying to run in a straight line after shooting up—

"Ahhhhhh"

Screams and gunfire split the cold silence, automatically sending my mind into Defcon 1.

"Oh my God" Rick breathed.

I pulled the handgun I haven't had to use all day; finding a burst of sudden energy, I was able to run near top speed once again, towards the chilling sounds.

I ran over the hill and out of the forest, into the campground as lives depended on it.

I flicked the safety off at the same time I raised my gun, and started popping every walker in my immediate line of sight.

Oh God, they're everywhere.

Screams, gunfire, growls, blood. Lots of blood.

I can barely tell the walkers from our people but as far as I can tell, I haven't killed anyone alive yet.

"Make your way to the Winnebago!" Rick shouted over the gunfire, behind me.

I don't know if it was instinct, or because Rick mentioned it, but I glanced at the RV and it's a damn good thing I did.

A walker was coming up behind Lori up by the Winnebago.

"Lori! Get down!" The words barely left my lips before my gun was aimed at it and Lori dropped to the ground, taking Carl with her.

I fired my last round, hoping to whatever deity that'll listen, it's a clean shot and every nanosecond felt like an eternity. By the time the bullet pierced the walker right between the eyes, I felt like half my life had been lived.

The walker crumpled as I straightened, dropping my handgun in favor for the other one I've got but I wasn't fast enough, and too focused on the miracle shot I'd managed.

"Eve!"

I spun around and ducked, avoiding bloody grabbing hands. I hadn't even hit the ground yet before a shotgun blast took off 80% of the walker's head. It landed right in front of me, blood and brains draining onto the dirt.

An eerie silence followed the walkers death. Whether or not the silence was in my head, I don't know.

"You good?" Daryl appeared next to me, looking around for anymore threats.

It took me a moment to collect my thoughts and realize I hadn't answered. I finally nodded and carefully stood up.

The ground looks like some ancient battlefield. Corpses and blood covering every foot of visible ground for ten yards in every direction. Hell only knows how many bodies there are.

The tense, anxious atmosphere worsened as choked sobs and crying replaced the panic.

I glanced over my shoulder to figure out what was going on and in that moment, I almost wished I hadn't.

"Amy!" Andrea's broken hoarse voice called for the bloodied blonde college student lying on the ground.

"Amy!" She desperately shook her sister by the shoulders, to no avail.

"I remember my dream now. Why I dug the holes." Jim's voice barely registered in my mind. I didn't realize I was dropping until my knees hit the rough uneven ground. Even the sharp spikes of pain it sent shooting up my legs didn't shake my mind loose.