Chapter 40

Daryl's POV

I looked up at a bird caw, keeping a tight grip on the small tree in my grasp, and watched 3 or 4 of 'em circling above the canopy.

"Please, don't feed the birds."

I tilted my head back, looking up behind me and watched my brother walk up to the edge at the top of the ridge.

I looked back to what I was doing, repositioning my grip before taking the next step.

Merle's rough laugh taunted me from just yards above, "What's the matter, Darylina? That all you got in you?"

I pulled myself up backwards onto the next lip, groaning while my side throbbed, and grabbed my next hand hold.

"Throw away that purse and climb."

I held onto the thick enough roots, shuffling my feet along the inches wide ledge.

"I liked it better when you was missin" I tried to concentrate on climbing but Merle continued to make it difficult.

"Oh come on, now. Don' be like that. I'm on your side" Merle laughed.

My crossbow hit me in the leg as I moved for the hundredth time. Hanging it off my neck ain't exactly easy but it'll just get in the way anywhere else. I'm gonna have a Hell of a bruise later.

"Yeah? Since when?" I reached for a small tree, using it while I carefully maneuvered my feet along the unstable dirt.

"Hell, since the day you were born, baby brother. Somebody had to look after your worthless ass."

I almost scoffed. "You never took care a me. Talk a big game but you was never there. Hell, you ain't here now. Guess some things never change." I pulled myself over the next ledge, cutting another 3 feet off my climb.

"Well, I'll tell you what—...I'm as real as your Chupacabra"

"I know what I saw." I grit my teeth as I pulled myself up backwards again and turned around to find my hand holds. Pullin' myself up backwards works a Hell of a lot better than what I was doin' before. It don' hurt as much.

"Yeah, and I'm sure them shrooms you ate had nothing to do with it, right?" Merle mocked.

"You'd best shut the Hell up!" I glared at him. I've had it with this.

"Or whaaaat? You gonna come up here and shut my mouth for me? Well, come on and do it then, if you think you're man enough. Hey! Kick off them damn high heels and climb, son." Merle's laugh grated on my last nerve.

Fine, then. Have it your way.

I grit teeth, my blood boiling, and grabbed the trees so hard my knuckles turned white.

"You know what? If I were you I'd take a pause for the cause, brother. Cause I just don't think you gonna make it to the top."

I swung my legs up using a small tree, getting closer to my asshole of a brother by the step; ready to punch him out the second I get up there.

"Come on. Come on, little brother. Grab your friend Rick's hand."

I slammed my hand into the dirt at the top. Right in front of his feet and pulled myself up.

My side hurt like a bitch, my throat feels like sandpaper but I got up.

I made it to the top and used the big tree beside me to stand up in a rush.