Chapter 98

3rd Person POV

Randall screamed, ears ringing as blood splattered across his torso, and the force pushing him backwards suddenly dropping like a sack of rice onto the asphalt.

He stared at the body for half a second before his eyes traced up to the barrel of a sleek black gun from a being he's now thoroughly convinced is his guardian angel, who looks like she traversed the 9 circles of Hell and clawed her way through purgatory, just to get here at exactly the right moment.

Covered in dirt, sweat, breathing hard, holding her side, a hazy field of the dead headed this way far off behind her, and he only watched as she shot the other 4 walkers intent on making him their dinner, like she'd only snapped her fingers.

While Randall thanked the lord for putting this woman here on earth, Eve ground her teeth into dust just glancing over her shoulder to the flood behind them.

She motioned at Randall to get up and he jumped in a heartbeat, almost tripping over the bodies mangled limbs until he was right next to her and already the two moved towards the forest.

Where they're headed, he has no idea but as long as it ain't here and he's teamed up with her, he don't care.

As the two disappeared into the forest, the sound of a motorcycle was lost on them over the hoards of dead and crunching of leaves beneath their feet.

Eve continued to hold her side end keep an eye out but they're flying blind here. They don't have anything to tell them which direction to go.

If only they had a compass or some— Eve stopped mid-step.

"What? Something wrong?" Randall panicked, looking around quickly.

'Son of a krabby patty.' Eve dug through her pockets, slower than she normally would have.

For some odd reason the voice inside telling her not to strain herself sounds an awful lot like Daryl but somehow she's not really surprised. And more inclined to listen, oddly enough.

"What are you doin'?" Randall questioned and Eve shushed him. They're not alone out here and with all these walkers nearby, they can't afford to attract attention.

Eve finally fished the compass from her pocket. She knew this thing would come in handy. Good idea to keep it in her pocket and not toss it into her backpack.

"Oh damn, that's real smart. Which way?" Randall shifted in anticipation.

Eve gestured with the hand that held the compass.

After another few minutes of walking Randall spoke up again. "So uh, where are we goin' exactly?"

"Highway." Eve sighed, taking the opportunity to breath a little deeper.

Randall nodded before looking at her. Eyes wide, and mouth on the floor.

"You know I think that's the first word you ever said to me."

'Please don't make me regret my decision to save you.' Eve looked at 20 something year old and put her finger to her lips.

He's probably only a little younger than Glenn, if not the same age but he is so much... less wise.

Randall took the hint thankfully, and shut his grubhole. But it's too late.

They heard the shambling and moans before they saw them. Two walkers ahead are shambling this way.

Eve quickly tugged Randall and veered to the side.

More moans down the hill caught her ear and she looked at the state of both her and the kid. They aren't gonna make it very far like this. They need to increase their odds.

Eve glanced at those two unaware walkers and sighed. This isn't gonna be pleasant.

Eve lifted her arm from Randall's shoulders and made sure all her weapons are locked down tight before taking out her knives.

"Wait here." Eve whispered lowly to Randall.

"What are you gonna do?"

Eve threw him a look and he clamped his mouth shut.

Eve took a deep breath and did her best to sneak around behind the closest one, avoiding sticks and rocks where she could.

Eve's POV

I'm not used to moving so slowly. It must've heard or smelled me coming but just as it began to turn, I stabbed it through the temple.

Something I'm accustomed to doing with ease, which is why the ripping feeling in my side caught me off guard.

My head swam and I could feel myself falling forward and almost went down with it but my front foot caught me in time and I steadied but as soon as I tried to go forward again I gasped.

My entire side locked up.

A sharp burning tingle ricocheted up my torso, like an electric current is shooting through my bones and frying every single nerve along the way.

"Look out!"

I turned my head half a second before Randall shoved a branch in front of the walkers mouth.

I tossed him my knife and he nearly dropped it but after fumbling he got it through back of the head.

My eyebrows raised and I gave the kid a thumbs up; impressed. But my side is burning me alive.

"Whoa hey hey you don't look so good."

I waved him off. We got work to do.

Crouching is harder than it should be but I managed and started pulling the walkers jacket off.

I pointed at the other one, "Copy me."

"Wh—"

"No questions."

"...Ok."

Randall did as told and copied me in making walker-gut jackets. Only the most stylish of fashion for the likes of us crippled folk, and with that leg of his and these ribs of mine, there'll be no catwalk training necessary.

After we both put on our stylish new coats I took a look at us.

We look like some fine fresh turns over here. Time to strut our stuff all the way to the highway.

"Highway's that way. We should make it before noon."

"Look, I know you don't seem to talk much and ya really don't like it when I talk," maybe you should think about why that is. "but why the highway?"

I sighed for what must be the 8th time now. "There's a carjam where we lost Soph—... one of ours. Before we met the Greene's. That's where Rick'll go. Where he goes, the others go. That includes me and you."

Before he could open his mouth again I started moving. "Don't talk. This is how we survive. Quick and quiet. Savvy?"

Randall nodded and I gave him a reassuring pat on the shoulders before motioning for him to follow.

If only we'd stopped talking sooner.

Then maybe they wouldn't have heard us.