Chapter 55

Hellllloooo~ everybody! Long time no see. It's been a long wait but I am finally back! As of today, uploads will resume as normal(every Monday). Thank you so much for your patience, support, and amazing comments. You guys rock and I am so grateful for every single one of you, I couldn't do this without you, but enough talk.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I heard Carol's steps, mindlessly running toward the small girl; her pathetic cries for the dead girl, fracturing my soul.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Daryl catch the woman, and take her to the ground beside me as gentle as possible.

"Sophia" Carol cried in desperation, reaching for her child even from where she was in the dirt.

My vision blurred as I looked at her, and Daryl. Blue eyes caught mine as Carol cried out again, sobs wracking her whole body.

I tried to shake my head and bring back my control over my body, but all I was able to do. Even as Sophia— the walker, started towards us; stepping over the other bodies on the ground between us.

Carol's excruciating voice cut the silence weighing thick in the atmosphere.

I know what needs to be done, I know. But by the time I mustered the will to reach for my gun, and my dry lips parted for the shaky breath, Rick moved forward.

I blinked, my shoulders pulling towards the ground with the weight of what I had to let happen now. My teeth biting into my lips, while I watched as what used to be the little girl I played tag with, reached this side of the field of bodies.

I wanted to look away, I don't want to see this happen but looking at Sophia's eyes... Cautious, scared Sophia reduced to ashen skin and sunken, empty, twisting veiled hazel; but they're still her eyes. Still her freckles. Still her.

I shouldn't have been grateful he moved first but watching Rick raise his Python, the gun weighing heavily in hand, I knew.

I couldn't have done it.

I took my final look at the little girl I once knew. The girl I vowed to find, and closed my eyes as the shot rang.

I turned away, to the dirt between me and Carol before forcing myself to look at the outside world again.

My hearing cleared to a painful crispness. Carol's strangled breaths between cries, ringing in my ears.

I forgot.

I forgot why I don't make promises I can't keep. Why I always plan for the worst. Why I don't let my hopes get up. Why I don't believe in a higher power. At least not one that is merciful and kind; nor cruel and twisted.

"Don' look." Daryl lifted Carol to her feet, as I turned my eyes to them. "Don' look."

Carol swung around, pushing Daryl off before staggering to a weak run towards camp.

I drew the back of my trembling hand to my cold lips; trying to calm the shake. I knew it was on my skin but I didn't feel it.

My hand fell, my lips parted, the muscles in my throat contracted as I swallowed. I knew the acrid taste on my tongue but it wasn't there.

The build of a shiver on my spine was there but never came. My chest hurt and my nose burned from inhaling the sharp scent of gunpowder and dirt, but even the pain of my physical state settled as a mirage on the surface of my mind.

The aches, stinging, nothing did anything to slow the hollow spreading through my bones.

I wasn't aware my vision hadn't been in focus up until the moment I found my eyes drawing to the black handgun in the dirt beside my foot.