Chapter 173

3rd Person POV

"Now we got a problem here. I need you to back up." Rick outstretched his hand to stop the 3 coming towards them but it was too late. Glenn, Michonne, and T-Dog had already seen the extra person they've brought back with them.

The 'shing' of a sword being removed from its scabbard accompanied the cock of a gun.

"What the Hell is he doing here!?"

Rick and Daryl immediately jumped in front of Glenn and Michonne, body blocking the rest of the group behind them, Eve grabbed Randall's elbow and surprisingly pulled him off to the side and motioned for him to stay there before moving back in front of Merle, standing sideways so he's always within her line of sight.

T-Dog made eye contact with Eve, silently asking for an explanation and Eve shook her head, even if they told them the truth of what happened, it wouldn't change the past or suddenly absolve Merle of the things he's done since the moment they met again.

In other words, it'd be useless.

There was a lot of shouting that Eve could barely keep track of before Rick was pointing his revolver at Michonne's furious face, the tip of her sword almost touching his chest as they both shouted at each other at the same time, "Put it down!" "He tried to kill me!"

Merle had his hands up, his back against a tree, but his smile looked like he was enjoying this as everyone yelled at each other back and forth.

T-Dog, Randall, and Eve were the only observers but T-Dog looked like someone being sent to the gallows, like the time of reckoning has come.

Eve hasn't forgotten that it was T-Dog who dropped the handcuff key on the roof where they left Merle and he's had a heavy conscience over it ever since but he'd accepted his mistake a long time ago. Now that Merle's standing right here in front of him, alive and breathing and carrying the punishment of T-Dog's blunder...... He has to face the music.

In a world of unimaginable nightmares, he really shouldn't have been surprised that the worst one would also come true. The man you left to die, coming back.

"He helped us get out of there." Daryl reasoned against Glenn, catching Eve's ear.

"Yeah right after he beat the shit outta you." Rick spat, still holding off Michonne.

"Hey, we both took our licks, man." Merle unhelpfully interjected with that ever carefree attitude but his eyes were venomous and fixed on T-Dog.

Unfortunately Rider stood between him and the man responsible for him losing his hand and as much as he wants revenge, he's not suicidal enough to try to go through her to get to him just yet.

Eve was aware this would happen, that's why she placed herself precisely where she is.

She was banking on Merle being unwilling to challenge her again after how it ended last time, all those seasons ago but it won't last long. Sooner or later he'll damn the consequences and when that happens, she has to be ready for it.

She's not in the best condition right now, but she's also a lot stronger than she used to be and fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on a person's point of view), she has a lot more experience with fighting while injured. After a while, it turns a tough cookie so hard you can't even bite it without breaking teeth anymore, much less chew.

"Jackass" Daryl called so casually it sounded like he was simply saying his name.

"Hey, shut up" Merle bit back like a true brother. Only to have Rick whip his head around without taking his gun off Michonne and yell in his face, "Enough!"