(C) Chapter Eighteen: Kitsune Lair

(The chapter begins with the royals standing together alongside Nyx)

Nyx: I'm afraid we have a problem.

Corrin: What is it?

Xander: There are many Hoshidan soldiers waiting in the path we would have taken to enter Hoshido. I guess they figured out our plans.

Camilla: We could take another path through the mountains where the kitsune live.

Corrin: Kitsune?

Elise: They're people who can transform into foxes!

Azura: Despite being in Hoshidan territory, they're mostly neutral. They avoid contact with most humans where possible.

Corrin: How are we going to convince them to let us through their home then?

Nyx: We can't unless we go see them.

Camilla: The kitsune are known to be somewhat hostile to those who wander into their territory, I'm afraid. There's a long history of people entering the land of the kitsune to kill them for their fur, which fetches a high price on the black market.

Corrin: If we're mistaken for hunters, we could find ourselves in trouble then.

Azura: Exactly. We'll have to tread with caution.

Corrin: Let's head for the kitsune mountains. It's either them or the Hoshidans, and I'd rather take my chances with irritated foxes than an army led by Ryoma.

(Scene change to the royals and Nyx walking together through the kitsunes' home)

Corrin: We haven't run into any trouble so far... Maybe we already passed by the lair of the kitsune.

Elise: Corrin...

Corrin: Are you scared, Elise? You know I'm here for you—

Elise : No, look!

(Elise points to Kaden as he appears)

Kaden: Hello there.

Corrin: You're a kitsune, yes?

Leo: Corrin, I have a bad feeling about this.

Kaden: ...You can call me Kaden. What are you doing here?

Corrin: I'm really sorry to invade your home. We simply needed to pass through here to reach Hoshido.

Kaden: You smell like Nohrians.

Xander: We do come from Nohr, yes.

Kaden: ...Hm. Well, I see no reason not to let you through. Follow me.

Corrin: Thank you, Kaden.

Nyx: ...

(Scene transition to a short while later. Kaden stops walking)

Kaden: Alright. Here we are.

Elise: Where exactly are we?

Kaden: The home of the kitsune... And your grave.

(Kitsune appear around the Nohrian army)

Kaden: I've heard of your king, you know. He's ruthless. He'll do anything to get what he wants. He kills innocent people.

Xander: I assure you we aren't like him—

Kaden: I can't trust that. Nohrians have been coming to the kitsune hamlet for many years to hunt us for our fur. Nohr's legacy of violence extends far beyond just waging war on random countries. Even people living in solitude like we kitsune are targets of Nohr. A few people can't change an entire nation. It's not possible.

Camilla: Kaden, please listen to us.

Kaden: You can't undo all the harm done by Nohrians in the past. They've come here to kill us and hunt us for sport. They don't understand the value of life. They all claimed to be different too, you know! The kitsune are dying out because of people like that. You can say you're not like them all you want, but you can't change generations of harm so easily.

Leo: ...

Kaden: That's enough talk. Kitsune! We battle! Get rid of the intruders once and for all!

Corrin: It seems we have no choice... Try to break through! Avoid killing the kitsune at all costs!

(The battle begins)

(Kaden is fought in battle)

Kaden: You won't hurt any of us ever again!

(Kaden is defeated)

Kaden: I'm sorry... Everyone...

(After the battle, the royals and Nyx stand together once again)

Corrin: We managed to get away, but I still feel awful...

Nyx: We had no choice. We need to keep moving so they don't catch up with us.

Leo: Nyx is right. We can't wait.

Xander: Come on. The kitsune will be fine.

Camilla: It'll be alright, Corrin. Promise.

(Xander, Camilla, Leo, Nyx, and Elise walk off, leaving Corrin and Azura to take up the group's rear alone)

Corrin: I know we had no choice but to fight them... I still feel awful though.

Azura: You're thinking about what Kaden said.

Corrin: In a way, he's right. We can't undo what Nohr has been doing for generations. The past is in the past. We can't fix it. The kitsune who died... All the innocent people who were slaughtered... We can't fix that.

Azura: I know... And I'm sure you're aware King Garon is following us through this same path.

Corrin: Yes... I know. We showed the kitsune mercy and escaped without murdering them, but he won't be so generous. He's a man responsible for countless massacres.

Azura: Do you still think you did the right thing?

Corrin: I've learned there's no perfect path to take in this war. Everyone is out for themselves... We aren't gods or anything. We can't see what the right option is. All we can do is press on and try to do what we believe aligns with our morals.

Azura: You're uncertain then.

Corrin: If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't think I'll ever be certain. No matter what we do, people will die. Nohr is a land of conquest. We can't undo all the harm of the past.

Azura: But you're still going down this path?

Corrin: The path may be out of our reach. I can't help all the people who have already suffered... But the future will be different. I will extend a hand to those in need and prove Nohr is not a land of mutiny and massacre anymore. King Garon is the past. We are the future.

Azura: Do you think you'll be able to defeat him when the time comes?

Corrin: I'll be more than ready... The first chance I get to drive Yato through his heart, he'll be as good as dead.

Azura: The glory of Nohr awaits.

Corrin: Indeed it does. 

-----------------------------------------------

My author's notes are still awful by the way

-Digital