(AF) Chapter Twenty-Six: Tale of Midnight

Since splitting away from his wife and child, Thalone has been left alone in Valla. The Nohrian invasion has placed him and many others in significant danger. While he has managed to evade capture thus far, there is no promise that he will escape this attempt at conquest unscathed. His struggle hits an unexpected point when he encounters unknown figures that have appeared in Valla. 

(The chapter opens on Thalone continuing to move through the forested areas of Valla.)

Thalone: Aquaria and Cerulean should have been heading in the direction of Hoshido... Us moving individually makes it easier to keep from being caught, so if all goes well, I should be able to catch them... 

(A small faction of Nohrian soldiers appear. The leader spots Thalone.)

Soldier: Look! There's someone who hasn't been caught! Kill him! 

Thalone: Damn it!

(Thalone puts his arms up to defend from attack, but before the attacks can come, they are blocked.)

Thalone: I don't understand...

(A group of invisible soldiers has started to form around Thalone, defending him from Nohrian attack.)

Vallite: Protect... Master... 

(The battle begins. The player has control of the invisible soldiers, and the objective is to rout the enemy while defending Thalone from attack.)

(At the start of the first turn, the following dialogue plays out.)

Thalone: What are you? I don't know what's happening... 

Vallite: We will... Protect you... 

Thalone: You called me your master... But why? 

Vallite: Fight first... 

Thalone: A-Alright... 

(After the battle ends, Thalone stands with the invisible Vallite soldiers in the forest. The Nohrian ambush force has been completely defeated.)

Thalone: I must thank you for saving my life... I don't understand what is going on, but I still greatly appreciate all that you have done for me. I need to keep moving so that I can find my wife and child... They need me, and I promised that I would see them once the attack ended. 

Vallite: Master... We will defend... 

Thalone: How am I your master? I'm afraid that I don't understand... You look more like ghosts than humans... 

Vallite: Lord Anankos... Your power created us... We exist only to serve you... In Valla's death, we will defend our liege... You are the last hope of Valla, and our nation must live on one way or another... 

Thalone: Tell me... Do you know what happened to everyone else? Is there anyone else left in Valla? Why are you calling me Anankos? That isn't my name... Anankos died years ago. My name is Thalone. 

Vallite: Soon, you will understand... Valla has fallen... Very few have managed to escape... King Rivalis is dead... Among many others... 

Thalone: If King Rivalis is dead, then chances are high that Queen Arcadia and Crown Princess Oceania have fallen as well... Aquaria, Cerulean... Please tell me that you were able to escape safe and well... 

Vallite: Nohrians still roam... Stay here... Stay safe... You will be guarded here... Valla itself will defend its god... 

Thalone: You shouldn't be calling me Anankos. That isn't my name, and it never will be. I'm only Thalone, and I want to make sure that my family is safe. 

Vallite: In time, the truth will be revealed... You have his power... You are capable of great things... 

Thalone: I suppose that I'll take your word for it for now... Please, take me somewhere safe. I need to wait for this to all blow over before I can go and search for my wife and child. As soon as the proper time arrives though, I'll make sure that our family is reunited. 

Vallite: We will defend... Lord Anankos... We are in your debt. 

Thalone: A-Alright... Let's get moving. I don't want anyone else to find us again. 

(The group of invisible soldiers moves with Thalone away from the scene of the battle as the chapter ends.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

New chapter time!

-Digital