(AF) Chapter Eighteen: Fated Encounter

Years have passed since Haruto, Giovanni, and Aika ascended to the thrones of Hoshido, Nohr, and Valla respectively. Anger has begun to flourish between Hoshido and Nohr, leaving tensions barely hidden behind false smiles. The three leaders of the nations came together for an important meeting. Giovanni's nation was beginning to struggle as a result of recent environmental issues. Yugare's magic has run out, and the people of Nohr are suffering due to a lack of food. Giovanni is hoping to ask for assistance, but such is far easier said than done given how many years the continent has been wrapped in tension. 

(The chapter opens to show Haruto, Giovanni, and Aika all standing together in an audience area within the palace of Valla.)

Aika: I'm glad that you both came to meet with me here. I understand that we have a lot to talk about. 

Giovanni: Hmph... 

Haruto: Well? Out with it. You were the one who wanted us to meet in the first place. Don't waste my time. 

Giovanni: Waste your time? I wish I could! 

Haruto: Excuse me? 

Aika: Both of you, please calm down... 

Giovanni: ...Fine. I'm sorry. 

Haruto: As you should be. I knew that I shouldn't have come here. Simply being in your presence feels like an insult to my existence. 

Giovanni: You have no room to talk when your nation has caused Nohr so much strife! 

Haruto: Do you remember when your people killed my father? Is that not strife as well?! 

Aika: Both of you--

Giovanni: Quiet already! 

Haruto: I could say the same to you!

(The gameplay section of the chapter begins. The objective is to control all three parties, all of whom are on different sides of the battle, for five turns to make sure that none of them defeat one another.)

(If Haruto initiates combat with Giovanni, the following dialogue plays out.)

Haruto: You are a bold and disgusting man for daring to insinuate that my people are not suffering because of Nohr's actions!

Giovanni: You're unable to look outside of your own bubble to see what the rest of the world is going through! You're the disgusting one!

(If Haruto initiates combat with Aika, the following dialogue plays out.)

Haruto: Get out of my way! I need to show him how ridiculous he's being!

Aika: Please stop fighting! This isn't worth going to battle over! 

(If Giovanni initiates combat with Haruto, the following dialogue plays out.)

Giovanni: Your country has done so much to hurt my nation! You don't even try to be sympathetic! 

Haruto: You should be listening to the truth of the issues that you have visited on Hoshido first and foremost!

(If Giovanni initiates combat with Aika, the following dialogue plays out.)

Giovanni: Step aside! I need to destroy that dastard for being so cruel!

Aika: This isn't going to solve any of our issues! Please, be calm! 

(If Aika initiates combat with Haruto, the following dialogue plays out.)

Aika: I must ask that you both stop this madness at once! We shouldn't be fighting one another when trying to work through our issues!

Haruto: You know nothing of peace if you truly believe that this man can be allowed to get away with his cruel words! Step away or face the consequences! 

(If Aika initiates combat with Giovanni, the following dialogue plays out.)

Aika: Please, I beg of you to listen to me when I say that this is not the choice you should be making! 

Giovanni: He's causing my nation harm with his words, and that's one thing that I cannot stand by and allow! Get away from him at once so that I can visit my full wrath upon him!

(After the battle ends, the three stand together once again with Aika in between the two men.)

Aika: Please, stop trying to fight one another... We're here to talk, and I think that we should talk about this in as much detail as possible. No more arguing, alright? 

Haruto: Fine... What is it you want? 

Giovanni: ...My kingdom is running short on food. I hate to ask you this, but I need your help. Hoshido lives in excess, and I figure that you have more than enough to share with Nohr. Please... I'm begging you. My people are starving, and I don't want them to get hurt. 

Haruto: Maybe you should all simply die of starvation then. 

Giovanni: Excuse me?! 

Haruto: Your people killed my father. We only acted in retaliation after what Nohr did to change my kingdom's fate forever. You deliberately provoked me into starting a fight. You are unfit to rule, and your people should not be alive if they have such a cowardly ruler. 

Giovanni: You're a monster! How can you say that my kingdom's people should all simply die because you're too selfish to share your plentiful resources with us?! 

Haruto: I've said my piece, and I intend to stick with it. This meeting is over. Good day. 

(Haruto leaves.)

Giovanni: Dastard! 

(Giovanni leaves.)

Aika: Hey! Please, come back! We can still talk this out! ...They're gone... They couldn't have truly mean all of those awful things they said to one another... That could be grounds for them to start a war... It seems I'll have to put more work into mediating the two countries than ever... 

(Aika leaves as the chapter ends.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that could have gone better

-Digital