(AF) Endgame: Never Saved

Thalone's control over Garon has given him the chance to expand his reach across Pheuyura. His wishes for vengeance have only grown stronger with time, leaving Thalone struggling to find any reasons to press on aside from seeing his enemies suffer. All thoughts of Cerulean and Aquaria are long gone, leaving behind only violence in their place. However, Thalone's wish to harm others will cost him far more than he realizes, leaving him isolated as he attempts to reach the revenge that he has been wishing for in secret for far too long. 

(The chapter begins with Lilith in Valla's palace. She is walking towards the entrance to leave.)

Lilith: ...That is the last report that I'll ever be giving him... It's truly a tragedy that things had to end this way. Thalone, I wanted nothing more than for us to continue to work together in the coming years, but... I'm afraid that's no longer possible. Forgive me. 

(The gameplay segment of the chapter begins. The objective is to take Lilith out of the palace of Valla. After this has been accomplished, the following dialogue plays out.)

Lilith: It's almost strange how much people can change in such a short span of time... You always wanted to find Cerulean, and I did too. I never got the chance to know them, and I thought... I thought that perhaps they would be able to act as a sibling figure due to our technical relationship through you, Thalone, but... It appears that simply was not to be. 

(Lilith pauses before forcing herself to press on once again.)

Lilith: I found Cerulean quite some time ago... Er... I found Corrin, and I believe that they're the one that you're searching for, but... I don't think that you can be trusted to look after them anymore. You can barely survive on your own without giving in to your thoughts about twisted justice. I don't understand how you can press on with such violence fueling your every motion, but I suppose that it doesn't matter anymore... There's no way that our alliance can continue after all that has taken place, so... I'm going to take this as my chance to escape before anything can possibly get worse. I know that disaster will strike if I'm not careful. 

(Lilith pulls a transportation stone from her pocket, and it glows blue as she watches it carefully.)

Lilith: I don't think that any of us will be completing our mission anytime soon... I'm the only one out of us four who reports back to you regularly, but... That's going to end now. I know that you aren't going to be happy with this, but... I believe that it's for the best. Corrin is happy and safe, and I don't trust you to look after them without putting all of that at risk. Thalone... I really wish that it didn't have to end this way. Believe me when I say that I wanted us all to stay together forever, but... It seems that simply wasn't meant to be, and I'm not going to challenge fate. I'm sorry about this, but... I like to think that the real you, the lost iteration of yourself that was buried under hatred and vengeance, would have respected me for making this difficult decision on your behalf. 

(Lilith clutches the blue stone a little bit tighter.)

Lilith: If I ever return to Valla, it will be of my own accord, and it won't have anything to do with the mission that you gave me. I can live life for myself without your influence, and... I'm going to look after Corrin the way that you would have once wanted me to. If this is how it has to be, then... I accept that fate. I wish that I could have saved you, but I'll do what I can to make your past self proud as I press on to the future. 

(Lilith disappears as she activates the transportation stone.)

FIN

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so ends Ancestors of Fate!

I'm sure that some of you are still wondering what will be coming next, so allow me to explain. I'll be making 50 miscellaneous moments chapters to fill out the universe of Fates, and I'm going to start releasing those at some point in the first quarter of 2021. Updates will return to the regular Sunday schedule when that time comes, but for now, the story is going back on hiatus. After the miscellaneous moments chapters are released, I'll be working on support conversations. Thank you to everyone who has read this far. The main story of Fates is now finished with the release of this chapter. For the time being, I hope you all enjoyed, and I can't wait to see you back here in 2021 for the continuation of the Fates rewrite!

-Digital