(AF) Chapter Twenty-Two: Grief's Shadow

After a long battle with Mokushu, Kohga fell in a silent war. None had evidence of who was responsible for the invasion, though Hoshidan ninja came to suspect that Mokushu's daimyo was involved. Without any evidence, the continent is left to silently tolerate Mokushu's actions. Within Nohr's boundaries, Katerina fell in love with the king, prompting them to be wed. In both Hoshido and Nohr, young princes have been born. Ryoma of Hoshido was born to King Sumeragi and Queen Ikona while Xander of Nohr was born to King Garon and Queen Katerina. However, the time of peace in Nohr is about to draw to a close. After many months of battling illness, Katerina has grown weak, and it appears that the time has come for her to return to Yugare's side. 

(The chapter opens to show Garon and a young Xander walking through the castle.)

Xander: Father... Will Mother be okay?

Garon: No, Xander... I'm afraid not. We're going to say goodbye. 

Xander: But... 

Garon: I'm sorry. 

(The gameplay segment of the chapter begins. The objective is to take Xander and Garon to the destination: Katerina's room in the castle. After such has been accomplished, Xander and Garon both stand beside Katerina. The following dialogue plays out.)

Garon: Katerina... We're here. 

Katerina: Garon, my love... You're here... And Xander... 

Xander: Mother... 

Katerina: Xander... I'm sorry, but I'm going to be going away soon... 

Xander: But why?

Katerina: I'm sick, and... I can't stay for much longer. I'm sorry that I won't be able to see you grow older. 

Xander: But... 

Garon: It's going to be alright, Xander... I'm here for you... 

(Katerina, Garon, and Xander embrace.)

Garon: You brought me the best years of my life, Katerina... I don't know what I would have done without you... 

Katerina: I'm glad that I was able to meet you... I have no doubt that you'll raise Xander to be a fine king... 

Xander: I want you to stay...!

Katerina: I wish I could stay longer too, darling... It's alright though... Everything will be okay soon... I love you both so much. 

(Katerina gives Xander a kiss to the forehead.)

Garon: Katerina... 

Katerina: You don't need to say anything, Garon... I understand... I'll wait for you on the other side. One day... We'll be together once again... Until then, I hope that you both spend all of your days happily together... I'll watch over you from afar for the rest of time...

(Katerina kisses Garon on the cheek, but as soon as she finishes, she falls limp, dead.)

Garon: Katerina... You will be missed forever... 

Xander: Mother...  

Garon: It will be okay, Xander... I'll make sure that everything is alright... 

Xander: But she's... 

Garon: I know. It won't be easy, but you're going to be okay. We're going to get through this together. I'm still here, and I'm going to do everything that I can to make sure that you're happy no matter what. 

Xander: Okay... 

(Xander looks down at the ground blankly, and he begins to cry, prompting him to wipe away his tears.)

Garon: Katerina... I'm sorry that you couldn't be here for longer... I'll do what I can to raise Xander on my own, but... It won't be easy without you here. I was counting on us growing old together and raising a large family... Remember all the times that we spoke of our future together...? So much has changed since then, but... I suppose that none of it will come to fruition now. 

(Garon takes Katerina's hand in his own.)

Garon: I'll do what I promised you... I'll look after Xander, and he'll become a fine king that you would have been proud of. May Yugare watch over you for many years to come... I'll miss you forever, my love. 

(Garon begins to walk out of the room, taking Xander with him. They give one final glance to Katerina before the chapter ends and the screen goes black.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woo chapter time

-Digital