(AF) Chapter Twenty-Three: Midnight Farewell

In the years since Katerina's death, the land of Nohr has begun to deteriorate. Garon's health has slipped, leaving him incredibly bitter towards the world at large. His hatred towards Hoshido has only grown, and he is desperate to wipe the opposing nation out of existence. In order to accomplish such a goal though, he will need the assistance of outside figures, and his first target for alliance is Valla. He sends a note to Queen Arcadia of Valla hoping for a response, not knowing what awaits him.

(The chapter opens to show Arcadia, the current queen of Nohr, opening a letter from Garon.)

Arcadia: King Garon sending a request to Valla...? That sure is strange... I never would have expected this...

(Arcadia continues to read the letter, and she lets out a gasp.)

Arcadia: He wishes to go to war against Hoshido?! Absurd! Valla will never stand for something so atrocious... Absolutely disgusting. I don't know what he's hoping to accomplish, but he won't get away with it. 

(Arcadia begins to write a response to Garon. The scene shifts to show Garon in the palace of Nohr looking at her response.)

Garon: ...Valla isn't willing to cooperate with the war, hm...? Their mistake. Nohr will rule this continent soon enough, and the world will see just how terrible of an idea it is to stand against us. 

(The scene shifts, and Garon can be seen standing in front of a crowd of soldiers from Nohr.)

Garon: I have a very important mission for you all... Go to Valla. I want you to end the life of their god. This is the price of standing against us. For the glory of Nohr! 

(The gameplay segment of the chapter begins. The player units are miscellaneous soldiers from Nohr. The objective is to defeat Anankos, who is waiting at the other end of the map.)

(At the start of the chapter, Anankos glances around as the following dialogue plays out.)

Anankos: Who goes there? Answer at once!

(When Anankos first engages in combat, the following dialogue plays out.)

Anankos: What are you doing?! Cease this attack at once!

(When Anankos is defeated, the following dialogue plays out.)

Anankos: Why is this happening...?! I don't... I don't understand... 

(After the chapter, a soldier kicks at Anankos' body.)

Soldier: He's dead. Let's return to the king. 

(The scene transitions to the palace of Valla. A servant knocks on Arcadia's door.)

Arcadia: Enter. 

Servant: Your Majesty... I come with terrible news... Anankos has been killed. 

Arcadia: What?! 

Servant: A few civilians saw Nohrian troops moving towards the area... What do you think we should do?

Arcadia: ...I'll consider it. You may go. 

(The servant nods and leaves.)

Arcadia: Garon, you dastard! This is an action worthy of going to war... If this is his idea of revenge for my refusal of his alliance offer, then... He truly has fallen from grace. I don't understand how he can continue on knowing that he was responsible for such atrocities. Absolutely disgusting. 

(Arcadia sits down at her desk and begins to write.)

Arcadia: If not for the powerful army of Nohr, I would march off to battle against him, but... That simply isn't an option right now. Nohr's forces are far stronger than anything that we have access to, and we would be destroyed in the blink of an eye...

(Arcadia lets out a sigh of frustration.)

Arcadia: That man is lucky... He's trying to goad me into initiating war against Nohr so that he can destroy Valla... I don't understand what his aims could possibly be, but he wasn't like this before the death of Queen Katerina... I don't understand him... Great Anankos, I pray that you will forgive me for being unable to take revenge against your killers... I am so sorry... 

(A bluster of blue dust blows by the window. A dragon's roar can be heard as the chapter draws to a close.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay for new chapters

-Digital