(AF) Chapter Eight: Aulane

In the years since Izumo's establishment to the south of Hoshido, tensions have begun to rise on the northeastern side of the continent. The Flame Tribe found in Hoshido has pleaded with the Hoshidan royal family for years to be given their own independence. However, the king of Hoshido, Talon, continues to stubbornly refuse their requests. When a fight of resistance is mounted in Flame Tribe territory, Talon goes to put the rebellion down, unaware of what is waiting for him when he arrives. 

(The chapter opens to show Rowan, the leader of the Flame Tribe resistance, standing in front of her army.)

Rowan: Word has it that the cowardly king of Hoshido is on his way to visit us now. We can't allow his dreadful behavior to stand! It's time for us to fight back and claim what should have been rightfully ours from the start! 

(The crowd cheers in agreement as a soldier appears beside Rowan.)

Soldier: Lady Rowan! The king has arrived! He isn't even bothering with peace deliberations! He's just attacking! 

Rowan: Dastard! If that's what he wants, then it's a battle he'll get! Join me, Flame Tribe! It's time for us to claim the independence that rightfully belongs to us! 

(The crowd roars once again. The battle begins soon afterwards. Rowan's troops are stationed at the bottom of the map. She is leading a faction of nameless soldiers of various classes from the Flame Tribe. At the top of the map, Talon stands with his army. When the fight starts, the following dialogue plays out.)

Talon: Why do you continue to resist? We all know that you're going to lose this fight! 

Rowan: Bold of you to believe that we won't fight tooth and nail for our independence! You asked for this yourself, coward! 

Talon: Fine! Then attack me! You'll see what happens to those who fight back against the king of Hoshido! 

(The battle begins properly.)

(If Rowan initiates combat with Talon, the following dialogue plays out.)

Talon: You should make this easier on us all and simply surrender now. We know how this is going to end, so you should just back away and leave this territory in my hands. 

Rowan: You underestimate the might of the Flame Tribe. Ever since you took to the throne, you have been disrespecting both me and my people. I refuse to stand for that any longer, so I'll do what I have to in order to end your unfair reign over the Flame Tribe! 

Talon: Fine then! Die by my blade then!

(If anyone else initiates combat with Talon, the following dialogue plays out.)

Talon: Back away if you wish to live! You have made a mistake in opposing me, and I won't allow for such to stand! ...You aren't running, so I'll simply instill the fear of a thousand men into you myself! 

(When Talon is defeated, the following dialogue plays out.)

Talon: No...! It can't end here... I... You're all beasts! I was right to try and destroy you!

(After the battle, Rowan stands above Talon.)

Rowan: What was that about my people being weak? 

Talon: You're disgusting... I don't know how you can live with yourselves! 

Rowan: You were the one who made the first blow against us. You wanted to hurt us, but we fought back. In your eyes, that is a crime worthy of death. How any could find you to be a good king is beyond me. 

Talon: Hoshido will make you pay for this! 

Rowan: Will Hoshido really fight back? I have forged an alliance with your younger sister. She will be granting the Flame Tribe independence as soon as your life has ended. 

Talon: She would never betray me...! 

Rowan: You and I both know that she already did. Make peace with Akiri now. Your time is up. 

(Rowan strikes Talon one final time, killing him.)

Rowan: People of the Flame Tribe! The king of Hoshido is dead! The time has come for us to be given the power that we should have had from the very start! 

(The nearby Flame Tribe soldiers cheer in response.)

Rowan: I will journey to the capital now to speak with the future queen about the deal that we have made regarding the independence of this land. Wait for my return! 

(The screen fades to black before changing scenes to show Rowan walking through the halls of the Hoshidan palace. She eventually comes to face a woman with pink hair sitting atop the throne. This woman is Ayameko, the younger sister of Talon and soon-to-be queen of Hoshido.)

Rowan: I take it that you have heard the news. 

Ayameko: I have. My brother is dead. He perished in combat against the Flame Tribe. 

Rowan: Just as I said that he would. 

Ayameko: I have found his treatment of your people appalling for years... As much as it pains me to say this, I believe it's for the best that he is no longer able to sit on the throne and mistreat those he holds disdain for. 

Rowan: You are nothing like him. You desire peace and stability for all people of Pheuyura where he only wished to hurt those who were unlike him. 

Ayameko: It's tragic that he was led astray by his own hatred... But I will still fulfill my promise to you. I said that I would do what I could to aid your people if I was given the chance to rule over Hoshido, and I meant it. 

Rowan: I think it would be best if we became our own country. As much as the Flame Tribe has appreciated working with the royal family, I know that we want to prevent this from happening once again. 

Ayameko: I understand. You were independent for years before my brother showed up, and I think that you should continue to be independent for years afterward. 

Rowan: I'm glad you agree with me. I still think that we'll wind up cooperating even if the Flame Tribe is given the chance to become a separate nation. My loyalty to you knows no bounds, Lady Ayameko. 

Ayameko: It's good to hear that you will remain true to me... Still, I must ask. What do you wish to name your new land? I will give you independence as soon as possible. 

Rowan: Aulane... That was my mother's name, and she died fighting against your brother for our right to be independent again. It's only natural that the land honors the one who gave so much of herself trying to free us from tyranny. 

Ayameko: It shall be done. Hoshido will look forward to cooperating with Aulane for many years to come. 

Rowan: And Aulane shall do the same. 

(The screen fades to black as Ayameko and Rowan leave the throne room to continue their deliberations.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh boy another update! And this is a long one! Yay!

-Digital