(R) Chapter Twenty-One: Flames on the Water

(The chapter opens to show Corrin and Azura walking through Valla as they speak to one another.)

Corrin: As relieving as it is to know that we're going in the right direction... I must admit that I feel rather unsettled with all of this. 

Azura: You're still thinking about what happened with King Garon, aren't you?

Corrin: Yeah... He was taken over by Anankos, and there was nothing we could do to change that fact. For years, we didn't know that it was the case, and... We couldn't save him. 

Azura: I understand why that would unsettle you... And as much as I hate to say it, there's nothing I can do to make it better that hasn't already been done. 

Corrin: Yeah... We freed him for his own sake. It's best if we free these soldiers from their endless suffering rather than leave them to follow Anankos for the rest of their lives. 

Azura: Still, that doesn't make the guilt feel any smaller, does it?

Corrin: Not at all... I guess I'm scared of what's going to happen next. 

Azura: How so?

Corrin: I somehow doubt that the king of Nohr was the strongest soldier Anankos has in his arsenal... It doesn't make sense to send him after us so soon. I have a horrible feeling like there's still more to all of this, and we aren't going to know what's going to happen until it's too late. 

Azura: I understand... But know that you aren't dealing with this on your own. Everyone else here is happy to help you through this. 

Corrin: Thanks, Azura. That really is appreciated. 

Azura: It's been a while since we last had an encounter with the enemy... I wonder if we're going to run into someone else soon... 

???: Bad news!

(Lilith appears.)

Corrin: Lilith, are you alright? You seem so stressed... 

Lilith: I'm afraid I come with bad news... There's another wave of invisible soldiers coming towards us. They're coming from straight ahead, whatever direction that is, so we're still going in the right way, it seems. 

Azura: Alright. We'll just have to get ready to fight them. 

Lilith: The leader of the forces isn't someone I recognize, but... There's something deep down that tells me he's important. You can evaluate him for yourself when the fight starts, and judging by how quickly the enemies are advancing on us, it won't be too much longer. 

Corrin: Thank you for telling us all of this. We'll do what we can to get ready for what is to come. 

Lilith: You're welcome. 

(Lilith exits.)

Azura: Are you ready for this? 

Corrin: It's not like I have much of a choice... The king of Nohr is dead, so all that remains is to take out Anankos. He isn't stopping his attack, and he knows fully well that King Garon has been defeated. That means he's fighting regardless of if the king of Nohr still lives. 

Azura: The soldiers kept alive in constant suffering... They're coming after us likely because we're outsiders. 

Corrin: Exactly. Anankos wants revenge against the outside world for not rescuing him when he was attacked. I mean, even if Nohr's government instigated the attack, Hoshido didn't come to the aid of Valla at any point during the invasion cycle. It's only natural that he's upset at both countries.