The Staff Adventures (Episode 4)

I've been in a bad mood all day, so hey! Let's write a chapter!

Susie was doing paperwork in her apartment, it wasn't anything particularly interesting. She had been tasked with trying to come up with ideas for the author, since she had been on writer's block for a few months now.

Susie's focus was taken from her work by a swift knock on the door. She stood up, making a mental bookmark as to where her thoughts were. She opened the door, and was met with the ecstatic face of Dominic. "Susie! You won't believe it!"

"Dominic! Come in!" She smiled brightly and invited her boyfriend of five months in. "What's got you so excited?"

"So, my family recently found a fortune underneath their house. So, I'm rich! Do you know what this means?" Dominic was bouncing up and down, his eyes shining with excitement.

Susie paused, processing the information thrown her way. Her eyes lit up as well. "Oh my god!"

"I can travel the world!" Dominic grinned from ear to ear. "Isn't it amazing?! We can eat the cuisine, and try on the clothes, and learn about culture--"

Dominic's voice drowned out as Susie came to a realization, her frown slowly dissipating.

"--and maybe meet some famous people--Susie?" Dominic stopped, noticing his girlfriend's shift in attitude. "What's wrong?"

Susie looked up to her boyfriend, who's face conveyed innocent confusion, mixed with concern and curiosity. "I...can't go with you Dominic..." She mumbled, biting her lip. She watched as Dominic's expression slowly morphed from confused, to devastated.

"...what?" He asked quietly. Susie internally winced.

"I have a life here, I can't just throw all that away." Susie whispered, playing with her fingers. Dominic's eyes grew glassy as he looked down.

"...right, of course. It was selfish of me to expect you to want to run away with me." Dominic muttered. "Sorry, Susie."

The two stood in a tense silence, Dominic trying to think of how to deal with this situation, and Susie biting her lip, aware of the inevitable. She didn't want to say it, she didn't want to slap him in the face with the cruel truth.

"I...I think it would be best if we broke up."

Dominic shot his head up. The only thing Susie could see in his eyes was pure panic. "What?"

"Our lives are pulling us in different directions, we can't keep going like this." Susie smiled weakly.

"No, it can't end here." Dominic said. "I can stay, I don't need to go."

"Dominic, I can't pull you away from you dream." Susie whispered, biting her lip.

"Then...we can manage a long distance relationship!" Dominic offered desperately.

"Those never last." Susie shook her head.

"We can do it, I believe in us." Dominic took Susie's hands in his. "I'll come back, and we'll be together again."

"You can't expect me to wait for you." Susie whispered, pulling her hands away gently. "I'm sorry."

"I can't...lose you." Dominic told her, vulnerability and despair taking over his voice. "I don't want to lose this, what we have. You make me feel...free. Like I can be myself around you. Like I can tell you anything and you'd never leave me." Dominic clenched his fists. "I don't want to let you go."

"Dominic..." Susie whispered, wiping a few tears that had fallen down Dominic's face. "This is your dream, right now...I'm a liability." She smiled softly. "You can't abandon your dream for me. You're worth so much more than that."

"...I love you." Dominic told her. "And...I'm sorry that it has to end like this." Susie smiled solemnly. "So...this is goodbye, huh?"

"Don't think of it as goodbye, think of it as...bon voyage." She could feel the way her eyes watered. "Good luck, Dominic."

He smiled pathetically and walked towards the door. "I'll miss you." He whispered.

"I'll miss you too."

Dominic took a deep breath and opened the door. He gave Susie one last look, before he was gone.

Susie smiled sadly. She felt her own tears begin to fall down her face, yet she made no effort to stop them. She had truly hoped things with Dominic would have worked out, but it seemed fate hated her guts.

Some small, selfish part of her secretly wanted Dominic to abandoned his dream for her. Wanted Dominic to stay by her side. She knew that she couldn't do that.

Huh, Susie didn't think that she would break up with him.

She honestly thought that he would eventually get tired of her, and chase after some prettier girl. She realizes now that the chances of that happening were incredibly low.

Susie wasn't sure how she was supposed to feel, was she supposed to cry? Scream? Chase after him? That seemed hypocritical. After all, she was the one who convinced him to go. She felt sad, heartbroken, even.

She hadn't even registered when she had began sobbing quietly to herself. She hadn't been with Dominic for even a year, and she had already broken up with him.

She was a disaster when it came to relationships, she was beginning to doubt if she'll ever find someone who she could maintain a relationship with. Would there be anyone who would even want to be with her?

She sighed, dejected at the thought. She sat back down, and continued doing paperwork.

---

Darius had finally finished his duties for the day. He was feeling especially exhausted, since Emma and Richard had asked him for help at the pool. He had discovered that they had started dating, weirdly enough.

He decided to take a walk, needing a break from the real world. He approached a hill, deciding he would watch the sunset.

He sat down on the hill with a quiet thump, smiling to himself as he saw the beauty of the sky.

For once, he felt like he had really moved on from Susie.

A/N:

I bet you sadistic fucks found pleasure in this.

*

Vine: So...what have you been up to?

Avery: Eh, not much. Stony was having trouble, Stucky too. Steve just sucks at relationships.

Vine: Yeah...