Reclaimed (Part 13)

Clint was the first to awaken in the common room. He groaned, sitting up. He instantly noticed Natasha unconscious next to him.

"Nat." He slurred, reaching over and shaking her. "Wake up."

"Barton."

In a second he had picked up the gun and shot at Joshua.

The bullet had gone right through him, but he didn't seem all that concerned. "Violent, aren't you?"

He looked at the gun, then back at Joshua. "That was supposed to kill you." He mumbled.

"I'm not really here." Joshua shrugged.

"Where are you then?" Clint asked.

"In your mind." He conjured himself a glass of red liquid out of nowhere.

"Well get the fuck out; that's an invasion of privacy." Clint glared at him. Joshua hummed.

He took a slow sip out of the red liquid in his glass. "Always the comedian."

"What is that? Wine?" Clint asked, putting the gun down. Joshua looked at the red liquid and back at Clint.

"...yes." He cleared his throat.

"Why are you in my head, asshole?" Clint spat. Joshua smirked.

"I took down Captain America. He was strong, I could only go to him during his sleep. His most vulnerable state of being." Joshua took another sip. "I'll do the same to you."

"But I'm awake." Clint glared at him.

"That's because I'll only do it to you whilst you're awake." Joshua chuckled. "Just so you know how weak you are compared to the captain."

"Fuck you." Clint spat. "I'm not weak. I'm an Avenger."

"I showed Captain America his worst fear. Something happening to his team. Your worst fear is way more interesting to me." Joshua smiled.

"You don't know anything about me." Clint hissed, clenching his fists.

"Don't I?" Joshua snapped his fingers, and all of a sudden the rest of the Avengers surrounded him.

He looked into their eyes, looking for the red and was surprised to see it had disappeared.

He looked back to Joshua to find him gone.

"What?" Clint mumbled to himself.

They were all glaring daggers at him. Tony stepped up, fists clenched in rage.

"Are you kidding me?" He asked. "This is the third fucking time you've been taken over. Why are you so goddamn useless?!" Tony yelled.

The word echoed throughout his head, even as he tried to stop it.

'Useless'

Wanda stepped up, and Clint felt like he would puke.

She had a large cut across her neck, and her eyes had no life in them.

"You made me an Avenger." She snarled. "You made me an Avenger and you failed to protect me. Just like you failed to protect him!"

An image of Pietro's body appeared in his head, and he winced.

'Useless'

'Failure'

"This isn't real." Clint mumbled to himself. "This isn't real. This isn't real."

"Why can't you be as strong as me, huh? Why can't you be anything other than a weakling? For once in your life, man up." Steve scoffed, crossing his arms.

'Useless'

'Failure'

'Weak'

Clint shuddered, and they all exchanged a look. Like they knew that was it. The key word.

"You tried to play the hero." Bucky snapped. "And where did that get you?"

The scar he got from when Joshua stabbed him began to burn. He yelped, clutching it.

"You're the weakest Avenger, Clint." Natasha said calmly, a cold look in her eyes. "We don't need you."

The words echoing in his head got louder, and he covered his ears. "Stop it."

"You're a failure!" Vision screamed.

"A stupid circus act." Sam growled.

"Can't even fight without your hearing aids." Peter spat.

"Stop it!" Clint yelled. The others started screaming obscenities at him.

"Couldn't even protect your own brother."

"Clint!"

Then suddenly, they were all gone, and Natasha was staring at him. Both of her hands were placed on his shoulders.

Tony was behind her, looking on in an equal amount of concern. "Are you okay, Katniss?" He asked.

"You're shaking." Natasha pointed out.

Clint tried to even out his breathing, panicking wasn't professional.

He could feel Natasha's hands on his shoulders, she was real. It was over.

"Fuck." Clint nearly sobbed in relief. He put his head in his hands. "Shit, just--give me a minute."

Natasha and Tony exchanged a look.

---

Bucky could feel his body getting weaker.

He, as a weird spirit thing, was fatigued and it took great effort to walk from place to place.

"So is this my punishment? Feeling myself die slowly with no way of stopping it?" Bucky asked Joshua. Joshua laughed.

"This isn't your punishment." Joshua smirked in a way that looked so unnatural on Steve's face. "It's his."

He gestured to Steve, who barely heard him. He was more focused on Bucky, who swayed where he stood.

"You're going to make him watch me die?" Bucky laughed humorlessly. "You sadistic fuck."

"Not a sadist, just one for justice." Joshua hummed. Bucky scoffed.

"I don't know what your definition of justice is, but it's definitely not this." Bucky grumbled.

"Perhaps not in your perspective, but in mine it's the perfect definition." Joshua smirked as Bucky rolled his eyes. "You kill my father, I make each of you suffer."

"Your father? You had less of a father-son relationship and more of a master-servant relationship." Bucky spat.

"That's not true." Joshua hissed.

"You meant nothing to him." Bucky smirked condescendingly. "Just a means of doing his dirty work."

"He loved me!" Joshua snapped, fighting against his restraints to strangle Bucky's apparition.

"He loved you as much as he loved his stick of deodorant." Bucky scoffed.

"Shut up!" Joshua spat. "He loved me, he did!"

"No proof to back your claim." Bucky shrugged.

"You want proof? I'll show you proof."

A/N:

Wow I'm so good at cliffhangers.

*