We'll Be Okay

Peter heard a knock at his bedroom door. "Pete?" He heard Aunt May ask. "Can I come in?"

Peter said nothing, but May came in anyways. "I don't want to talk, Aunt May." Peter mumbled, hugging his knees tighter.

"I know, I know." She sighed. "I-I just--" She bit her lip, and Peter glanced at her.

Her eyes were bloodshot, as well as puffy. Her expression was contorted into a grimace. "Aunt May?" He asked.

"I can't be alone right now, Peter. I-I just can't." She told him, her voice shaky.  He paused, before hesitantly patting the space next to him on his bed.

She sat down, an exhausted sigh escaping her lips. "It's just so cold in there now. I couldn't stand it."

"I get it." Peter mumbled. "Do...do you wanna talk about it?" He asked, turning to her.

"What? I came in here to talk with you, Pete." She asked incredulously.

"I know you're putting on a brave face for me, you don't need to. It's okay." Peter said softly.

She look surprised, before she immediately collapsed into heaving sobs.

Peter pulled her in and hugged her tightly, May reciprocated immediately. "It'll be okay." Peter told her softly.

"I-I remember the day your parents left." May said as she pulled away, wiping at her eyes. "It was cold, and you looked so sad that your parents were leaving."

"May, you don't have to--"

"And Ben, oh he looked so annoyed." She giggled quietly. "He didn't like the idea of having to watch his brother's kid. And then we heard the news. It was like being hit by a truck." She laughed sadly.

"I remember Ben, he took you up in his arms and hugged you so tight." She sniffled. "You became inseparable since then."

"Why--"

"And that's why I know he doesn't blame you for what happened." May said. "It wasn't your fault."

"But--"

"So don't be so hard on yourself, okay?" She brought a hand up to his cheek. "He wouldn't want that."

"I'm so sorry." Peter said, breaking down.

"If I had known that today was his last," May bit her lip. "I would've taken you both out, go somewhere nice."

"You couldn't have known, May." Peter mumbled. "I should've done something. It's all my fault."

"No, Peter." May smiled sadly. "The only person to blame is that stupid crook." She spat. "God, Ben didn't deserve this." She sobbed, throwing her head in her hands.

They hugged again, both holding on tighter than before.

"We're stronger together." May mumbled into Peter's shoulder. "We'll be okay."

A/N:

Okay, real talk, this is probably one of my worst chapters yet.

*