Chapter 210

Eris was led upwards up the tree once again. Soon, they emerged into the carved, open chamber where the queen's throne lay. The blue sky was visible above through the dense branches.

       "I've figured your name is Eris, correct?" Zei' Dahla asked from her throne. Eris nodded.

       "Why did you starve us?" Eris asked. Zei' Dahla got up from her throne.

       "If you want to get a good idea of someone's character, you need to confront them while they are hungry, thirsty, desperate, and anxious. That tends to be when one's truest colors show." Zei' Dahla explained.

       Suddenly, vines wrapped around Eris from below. They were pulled to their knees as Zei' Dahla approached them.

       "So, Eris, would you say you are a good person, by your own definition." Zei Dahla asked.

       "Kind of." Eris replied half-heartedly.

       "Kind of. That usually means mixed. What are some bad things you've done, Eris?" Zei 'Dahla asked.

       "I've killed some people that probably didn't deserve it." Eris answered. The guards around the open chamber glanced at one another nervously.

       "Why did you kill them, Eris?" Zei' Dahla asked.

       "I was ordered to." Eris answered.

       "Who ordered you to do this?" Zei' Dahla asked. Eris thought about their response.

       "The person who raised me, he's dead now." Eris replied.

       "Have you killed anyone since then?" Zei' Dahla asked.

       "Yes." Eris replied.

       "Why?" She asked.

       "Needed money. I was paid, then told to not do it again." Eris replied.

       "Who told you not to do it again?"

       "Cedric, the elf in our group."

       "What is he to you?"

       "Several things." Zei' Dahla cocked her head at the response.

       "Care to list them?"

       "It's personal."

       "More personal than the fact you've killed people for money?"

       "I think." Eris answered uncertainly. Throughout the whole travel up, they had felt dizzy, probably from dehydration.

       "I'm sorry to intrude upon the things you deem personal, but that is a part of this." Zei' Dahla asked, the vines around Eris tightened.

       "Friend, ally, fellow fighting companion, uh... Person who would usually be giving me food right now..." Eris listed.

       "That doesn't seem very personal, I'll give it a guess, you love him, don't you?" Zei' Dahla asked. Blood rushed to Eris' cheeks.

       "Yes." They replied.

       "Alright, that makes sense. Do you think you passed this trial?" Zei' Dahla asked.

       "Yes." Eris replied. There was a pause where Zei' Dahla merely looked them in the eyes.

       "You haven't failed yet. But, we'll see more when I interrogate your lover. Guards, give them some food and water, as well as some time away from the prison." Zei' Dahla demanded.

       Eris was given berries and water, not much unlike what they usually ate. They ate them voraciously. Then, they were led downwards and allowed to stretch their legs in a nearby meadow. Then, they were placed back within the dungeon beneath the tree.

       Then, the vines began to raise Zerai out of the dungeon. He was moved up and across the branches before being handed to the guards. He was led progressively upwards towards the top of the tree to receive his trial.