Chapter 249

The daylight didn't last long, and by the time Ara' Sei and Roya were going back, it was already starting to fade. The shadows grew darker, and the light had an orange quality to it.

       Soon, the two found themselves back within the office of the Lawmaster. Geros stood up and gestured for the two to follow her. The two followed her upstairs and down a thin hallway.

       Then, they came upon a ten foot by ten foot room with three chairs. In one, sat a man with a formal, dark uniform, with two guards standing beside him. Ara' Sei and Roya sat in the chairs facing him.

       "Hello, this is General Andif of the Norda military. I will you speak with him in private." Geros said, closing the door.

       "Lawmaster Geros already introduced me, what are your names?" The general asked.

       "My name is Ara' Sei, it's good to meet you, general." Ara' Sei said.

       "I am Roya, cleric of the Solan's cathedral in Oarshear, I share the sentiment with my friend here." Roya said.

       "So, I was told you two had an urgent message, I don't have much time." The general said.

       "An army of dragons has almost completely destroyed the city of Point Sathus. They will likely travel North, probably killing tens of thousands of additional innocent people. We need your aid to stop them." Ara' Sei explained.

       "How would you stop them?" General Andif asked.

       "Me and my friends are capable in battle, but there's only nine of us. We would need additional aid to stop this." Ara' Sei answered.

       "How do you fight?" General Andif asked, looking at Ara' Sei's petite frame.

       "I don't need steel to fight, neither do several of my friends." Ara' Sei said.

       "Ah, magic. Well, tell me, Ara' Sei, why should I go out of my way to stop this?" General Andif asked.

       "There are countless lives in danger here." Ara' Sei said.

       "My duty is to protect Norda, I don't see how going to Sathun to defeat some dragons will help that." The general said.

       "With all due respect, this is greater than Sathun alone. If we don't can't stop them there, you may not be capable of fulfilling your duty here." Ara' Sei said.

       "Many of the people I gladly serve would want nothing more than to see Sathun weakened. We would finally be granted access to the fertile lands of the South. I would be fulfilling my duty to them by waiting here, where I belong." The general explained.

       "What of the lives that will be lost, including those in Norda." Ara' Sei asked.

       "It is not my duty to defend the lives of people that aren't my own." The general said. Ara' Sei's eyes began to sting.

       "So... you would just let them die?" Ara' Sei asked.

       "Well, I wouldn't put it like that."

       "I've been listening to what you've been saying general, and I'm not certain you're being forthright. One of the things Solan taught me was to shine light through lies and masks. What is the reason you won't do this?" Roya asked. Their voice amplified, and their eyes glowing with sunlight.

       "The people of that country are none of my concern. I have no reason to believe the dragons will go North. The lands of the South will belong to Norda, and so will their riches. Objectively speaking, I have no reason to help you. I have explained my point. I understand this fight is important to you, and I will not stop you." General Andif answered. Then, he stood up, let one of his guards open the door, and left.

       Ara' Sei simply sat there as his footsteps grew more distant within the hall beyond.

       "He doesn't care at all." Ara' Sei said.

       "No, he doesn't." Roya said.

       "How does this world let people like him become so powerful?" Ara' Sei asked.

       "The gods do not control us, otherwise, our devotion to good would mean nothing." Roya answered.

       "He's going to walk away as people die. Well, we're not getting his help, but I do have a plan." Ara' Sei said.

       Ara' Sei stood up and opened the door, letting Roya walk through. Ara' Sei checked to make sure that General Andif or his guards weren't there.

       "So, how did it go?" Geros asked. Ara' Sei shook her head.

       "He's not going to help, at all." Ara' Sei said.

       "Oh... I'm so sorry." Geros said, looking towards the floor.

       "Don't be." Ara' Sei said. Silence fell over the Lawmaster's office.

       "Geros, I have a question."

       "What is it, Ara' Sei?"

       "How far would you be willing to go to do the right thing?"