Chapter 231

Brie was fast, but Eris was far faster.

       Immediately, they identified the young woman as the one who had been using magic and launched a massive bolt of lightning. The bolt slammed into the woman's chest, and she was sent reeling back.

       Immediately, Brie carved a massive, pale blue glyph. Then, she unleashed its power.

       She knew exactly what was about to happen before she had even cast the spell. Half of the fighting pit was immediately coated with ice crystals. Each of the opponents was also coated with ice crystals. The young woman who had been using magic this whole time took the impact most seriously, and she could barely even stand after being hit.

       The elven woman who wielded a bow drew an arrow and pointed it towards Brie.

       "You know what to do, big guy!" She shouted to the bulky man. But, before the man could do anything, Ella had charged forwards with her blade.

       Her blade became a blur of graceful, fluid strikes.

       "That's a cute axe, boy!" Ella taunted. The man stumbled back as his blood poured out onto the ground. The crowd around cheered at the strange turn of events.

       The girl extended her hands out, her eyes wide with fear. But then, her eyes glowed a sickly green color.

       "Lay down whatever arms you utilize in that corner, and go back to where you were before." The woman said. The voice had a strange resonance to it.

       Brie felt the words overtake her, and she turned towards the corner the woman had gestured to.

       The bulky man roared with anger at Ella and then swung his battleaxe with every bit of might he had. Instead of following the orders the other woman had given him, he wildly swung at Ella. She took two heavy hits to the side and shoulder, but she still stood.

       "I was right, it was a cute axe." Ella said.

       Eris ran forward and vanished momentarily. They appeared behind and above the bulky man with the blunt end of their dagger. They slammed it into the back of the man's head where it met his neck. His eyes rolled back and he fell forwards, slamming onto the ground.

       The crowd oohed at seeing a previous champion overtaken so quickly.

       Brie walked towards the corner, placed her wand down, and began walking back, completely helpless against the magic that had overtaken her.

       The woman with the bow fired her arrow at Eris. But, with their dagger, Eris deflected the arrow, and it was sent flying into the stone walls of the pit. The woman then backed up with incredible speed.

       But, Ella was already running at her with her massive greatsword. The woman partially evaded her strikes, but by the end of the barrage, she was heavily wounded.

       The younger woman with green scales looked around frantically. She was covered in ice crystals and could barely stand. She extended her hand outwards and whispered frantically to herself.

       Suddenly, the whole pit became enshrouded with fog. Nothing was remotely visible within it, and Ella could barely see the woman in front of her.

       Eris looked around, unable to see a thing, instead, they ran towards where they had seen Ella go.

       Brie finally escaped the spell that had been put upon her, and she ran back towards her wand. Even in the fog, she was able to pick it up off the sandy ground and run back towards the main battle.

       The elven, bow wielding woman slipped into the fog and disappeared. Ella had no idea where she had gone, so she just stood in the fog, confused.

       Then, the fog cloud began to dissipate, instead, a swelling cloud of yellowish fog encircled the whole group. This fog stung to breath, and the three found their eyes instantly watering.

       Eris instantly ran in the opposite direction, and then they emerged.

       The three people were all there on the other side. The body of the bulky man was there face down in the dirt, and the two others were also there, and all their eyes were on Eris.

       Eris hurled their dagger into the shoulder of a woman with green scales. She instantly fell to the ground, and the cloud disappeared. The crowd cheered upon being able to see the scene clearly.

       Brie carved a graceful, magenta colored glyph, Eris recognized it immediately. Then, Brie pointed at the remaining woman. She instantly fell to the floor, put to sleep by a magical slumber.

       The crowd cheered, and the medics ran out into the pit. It suddenly became clear that no one had expected them to actually win before it had all happened.

       "And our reigning champions have been defeated in a thrilling turn of events! I believe that's all we have, apologies to Team 8. Have a great night everybody!" The woman shouted, and a cheer erupted from the room.

       The same halfling as before ran out to give the group a sack which contained four hundred fifty gold pieces.

       The group exited the fighting pit, and into the tavern, which was almost entirely empty.

       The group split the gold evenly, one hundred fifty gold per person, and then went to bed after an eventful day.