Chapter 229

That evening, the two looked around meticulously for any sign they could of an underground fighting ring. However, for obvious reasons, it was well hidden from view.

       However, Brie finally caught on to something. It looked like a normal tavern that was part of a much larger building. But upon closer inspection, much of the space wasn't occupied by other businesses, and it didn't seem to be residential in nature.

       The two entered the tavern, and it became clear to Brie that something else was going on here. The tavern wasn't nearly large enough, and there was a back door that led somewhere else.

       Brie glanced around the tavern, there was only one other patron, a dwarven man. He appeared to be partially asleep.

       "Um, excuse me." Brie said to the bartender, who was a young half elven man. He ducked over the edge of the bar to look at Brie.

       "Whaddya need?" The man asked. Brie glanced around at the light reflecting around the tavern, listened to the faint sound of movement and chatter from outside, and she observed the groves in the wood of the stool that lay next to her. Out of context pieces began to fit together.

       "We're to make a quick buck or two, would you mind helpin' out a lady in need?" Brie asked, the words practically flowing off her tongue. The man glanced at the door behind.

       "I can talk with you more tomorrow. There's a fight for prize happening in two days." The bartender explained.

       "Thank you." Brie said, before leaving the tavern and going back to the inn. Once the two got back to the inn, Brie turned to Ella with a smile.

       "Well, that's good news!" Brie said.

       "Yeah! I'll finally get to fight again, and I might get money too!" Ella said.

       "Okay, so we just need to leave again tomorrow night." Brie said. Ella nodded in return.

       That night, both of them found rest, but were eager for the coming day, and the day after.

       The next day, the two left in the evening for the same tavern. It was far quicker to find this time, and the bartender recognized the two the moment they walked in. He gestured for the two to sit at the bar.

       "So, tomorrow is a trio fight for a prize against the current reigning champions. If you win, you claim all the prize money. You need to pay fifty gold to attend, just go through that door tomorrow and pay. But, it's a trio fight, you need three people." The bartender explained.

       "What can we use?" Brie asked.

       "Use anything that could be of use to you. We have someone on hand who'll heal anyone who gets knocked down." The bartender answered.

       "Okay, thank you." Ella said. The two left again after a brief exchange.

       "Who's gonna join us? On top of that, who should join us?" Brie asked.

       "Well, I know someone who is both willing and capable, it just means we'll have to split the money a bit more." Ella said.

       "Who?" Brie asked.

       "Trust me, I think Eris is the person we should contact for this."