Chapter 279

Ella and Zerai flew back towards the town of Aaronsworth. Occasionally, Zerai would glance behind him at the massive group of dragons.

       "What should we do once we get there?" Ella asked.

       "Warn people and guards of the incoming danger, tell them to stay away from the dragons." Zerai said.

       "Alright!" Ella replied.

       Then, the two made it to the wall.

       "What's the meaning of this!" One of the guards shouted.

       "A small army of dragons on your doorstep. Sound whatever alarm you may have. Take cover, and whatever you do, don't try to fight the dragons." Zerai explained.

       The guard glanced toward the horizon, and her eyes widened.

       "Alright, will do!" She said, before running off and shouting.

       Zerai flew further above the town, people stared up as they saw a flying man with golden, spectral wings.

       "Listen, you are all in danger, an army of dragons is invading Aaronsworth. Take cover, whatever you do, do not show yourselves!" Zerai said, magically amplifying his own voice. People in the streets below began running into buildings, closing curtains, and hiding wherever they could.

       Zerai summoned his blade to his hands. He grasped it tightly with both hands, and he took a deep breath.

       "Alright, we've got three dragons coming towards us!" Ella said.

       "We can't fight all of them at once, wait so we can pick them off one by one. I'll need you to handle a lot of the fighting because I need to keep this flight spell up!" Zerai said.

       "Very well!" Ella said.

       "And another thing, wait until one of the dragons uses their breath, I've noticed that it usually takes a moment for it to come back!" Zerai said.

       "Okay." Ella said, nodding. Zerai glanced outside of the city to see three dragons coming. The two flew down to street level below. Then, the two heard the roaring of the dragons.

       Suddenly, one roar was far closer to the others, and the two could hear the boom of violet lightning, and a purple flash from around a building.

       Then, the two took flight and rounded the corner, and standing there atop a roof stood a massive dragon. It had used its lightning to bore a hole in the roof, and it turned around to face the two assailants.

       Ella flew with all the speed she could possibly muster and used the momentum of her flight to plunge her blade almost two feet deep into the dragon's hide.

       From behind, Zerai didn't fly quite as fast as Ella did. But, he pointed his blade at the dragon, and four bolts of light emerged from it, immediately flying at the dragon.

       All of the bolts impacted the dragon on various parts of its hide, leaving faint scorch marks behind.

       However, to Zerai's dread, he could hear lightning crackling from within the dragon's throat.

       Then, the dragon pointed its jaws down at Ella, and a bolt of violet lightning slammed into her. Her ring flashed with light as the bolt hit her, and she breathed a sigh of relief upon realizing she had it.

       "Well, good thing I have that, huh?" Ella asked with a laugh. The dragon looked at Zerai's hand, noticing the absence of a similar ring.

       With a smile, Ella raised her blade and flew towards the dragon's chest.

       With her blade, she carved into the poor creature. One slash cut deep into the creature's chest, which was quickly followed by another. As Ella tried to go in for a third time, it glanced off the dragon's scales.

       "Oh I don't think so!" Ella shouted as she reaffirmed her grip on her blade. She slammed her blade horizontally into the dragon's chest, creating somewhat shallow but extremely wide gashes. The creature's black blood began flowing out in a torrent onto Ella's armor and clothes.

       Zerai also flew towards the dragon, but he flew to the opposite side, just in time to see Ella get slammed in the chest by the creature's massive tail as the dragon spun around.

       Zerai went in with his blade. The gashes his blade created weren't as large as the one's created by Ella's, but his blade flashed with golden light each time he struck.

       But, he was sent hurtling back as the tail came whirling back around to slam into him.

       The creature's body flashed with violet light and it roared with deafening volume.

       A sense of dread and humiliation overtook Zerai as that same, supernaturally imposed feeling onset him once again.