Chapter 226

Brie summoned glowing globules of light to make it easier to see the shelves filled with books. Ara' Sei and Zerai also began to search through the Restricted Section.

       Many of the books on the shelves were spellbooks of powerful wizards, undoubtedly filled with spells that shouldn't be in everyone's hands. Brie made sure to snag a few of them on her through the shelves.

       But, within moments, she found it. It was a book detailing the war one hundred fifty years prior.

       Brie flipped through the contents as quickly as she could, her eyes picking up on important words.

       Dragons. Burning Villages. No traces of said villages left behind. It was just barely more conclusive than what she had found below. Then, she saw the name.

       Ara' Carus.

       Someone had been hiding this book. Someone had been making sure that this was hidden from prying eyes.

       Upon investigating the books pages themselves, Brie realized that the pages were made of the same paper used to transcribe spells. It was a difficult material to destroy and damage. It was clear that many of the books in the Restricted Section were made of the special arcane paper, thus why many of the contents of it hadn't simply been destroyed.

       Brie stowed the book she had found away.

       Got confirmation, someone was hiding this. It's made of a material that's difficult to destroy by conventional needs, and so it was hidden in the Restricted Section, we should get out of here. Brie said using the spell she had cast earlier.

       Meanwhile below, Eris heard someone running up the stairs. Eris carved a graceful, deep magenta glyph. Then, as the archivist ran past the steps, Eris released the spell. The archivist fell to the floor forwards in an almost comical manner. Eris winced as he face planted with full force.

       Another archivist came charging up the steps. She crouched down and slapped her fellow archivist awake. His eyes fluttered open. Eris released the spell once again. Both of the archivists fell to the floor asleep. Eris slipped through the labyrinths of bookshelves, finding it easy to hide among them.

       Then, they had an idea. They carved an intricate glyph, and pointed towards the flight of steps that went upwards towards the Restricted Section. A blue, translucent, shimmering wall appeared that resembled the one the group had broken through to get into the Restricted Section. Only Eris knew the true, illusory nature of the wall.

       That was when they heard the message from Brie.

       Okay, but there are archivists in the way. I've created an illusory wall that should confuse them for some time, but they'll probably get through soon. We need a plan. Eris said through the spell.

       I don't think the sneaking out plan is going to work, we've since blown our cover. Cedric said.

       I still have that magic, and I think I could teleport all of us. Ara' Sei said.

       What do we need to do? Cedric asked.

       I need everyone here with me. Ara' Sei replied. Eris peaked out from behind the barrier to see five people standing in front of the illusory barrier. They pondered to themself for a moment, then a desperate idea appeared.

       I'm going to distract them by running, I won't get caught. Ella, once I've drawn them away, go and teleport with the others. I'll find a way to escape on my own. Eris explained.

No! Eris, there's got to be another way. Cedric insisted.

       I can disguise myself, don't worry. Eris replied. Then, they appeared from behind the bookshelves, making as much volume as they could.

       "What are you doing here?" One of the archivists asked.

       "I was browsing." Eris lied. All of the archivists turned towards them.

       "Wait, that's the person who put me to sleep, we should arrest them!" Shouted the woman who Eris had put to sleep. Eris took out one of their daggers, but wielded the blunt end of it.

       Change of plans, Ella, help me knock all these people out. Don't kill them. The moment we're done, we go up with the others.

       Sounds like a plan!