Chapter 289

Hundreds of miles away, the other part of the group was making their way Southward across grassy sand dunes. The entire coastal area North of the Theirin River appeared to be dotted by large, grassy dunes.

       It provided a strange sense of rhythm to the group's travelling. Every now and then, Ara' Sei would fly up above to look ahead.

       "No, just the same dunes, rolling into the distance." She said, as she landed back down.

       "Do you all think it might be a better idea to walk by the water on the wet, flat sand? It's practically a straight shot to the Northern coast of the Theirin Bay. That way we wouldn't have to deal with these dunes." Eris suggested.

       "I think you're right, that might be a much better idea." Ara' Sei said.

       The group hadn't been travelling far from the coast, so it took barely over twenty minutes to make it there. Then, the group travelled on the flat sand near the water. The sea would occasionally wash over their boots as they walked across the beach. Despite this, it was much more firm, flat ground than the dunes.

       The group continued a few hours into the night. Ara' Sei, Cedric, and Zerai used magic to light the way forward, and it illuminated the seawater as it washed forward.

       Eventually, they walked over to a nearby sand dune to sleep atop. As everyone began to find their rest, Ara' Sei and Zerai walked to the edge of the water.

       The moonlight was dim, and so the stars were clearly visible above, their reflections visible on the flatter ocean in the distance.

       "It's a beautiful night, isn't it?" Ara' Sei asked.

       "It is." Zerai replied. After a few moments of staring out at the water, Ara' Sei grasped Zerai's hand.

       "Do you... think this is all going to work out?" Ara' Sei asked.

       "I do think so. I definitely hope so." Zerai said, smiling at Ara' Sei. She sighed, and looked at Zerai. Even in the dim light, she could see his shining, golden eyes.

       "I don't know, ever since we found that prophecy on that tablet, it's all just been going downhill. I feel... horrible. Zerai, for whatever reason, the gate out of that plane was opened by me. Or... I was the reason it was opened. Now, tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of people are dead. Just because I wanted to get out and bring Ella back!" Ara' Sei explained, tears pouring from her eyes.

       "Look, you're right. But that's already happened, and there's no going back to it. The next best thing we can do is try to stop her." Zerai said.

       "I don't know, I just thought, stopping such a powerful... evil force would be different. I thought it would be fighting for every second of every day, but it's so much harder. It's a bunch of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and realizing that no matter how much power you have in your hands it's just... not enough." Ara' Sei explained.

       "Ara' Sei, everyone in this world probably knows what it feels like to be powerless. Even you, gifted with divine powers, aren't going to escape that. And... sometimes, I don't know if my own power will be enough to help achieve the things I want to do. I want to change things in the world, and despite the divine power that I myself was given, it's not enough." Zerai said, his eyes becoming wet.

       "Well, at least we have each other. Look, if I can take care of all this, I will help you. I want to help you. I love you, and I love the world you're fighting for. I guess, we'll just both have to take your advice, and just try our best, regardless of how successful it'll end up being." Ara' Sei replied, reaching up to wipe a tear from Zerai's eyes.

       "Yeah, I suppose you're right. Now, we should sleep." He said.

       "Wait!" Ara' Sei said.

       "What?" Zerai asked.

       "Let's just... enjoy the scenery for a few more minutes." Ara' Sei said.

       "Alright." Zerai agreed. Both of their eyes once again drifted to the reflections of the stars upon the distant sea. Although it was harder to see them through their misty eyes.