Chapter 262

For a brief moment, the pale light had overtaken everyone's vision, everything was bright, and white.

       When the light faded, the group was standing on a farm field. Large stalks of corn overtook the group's vision. However, it was easy to find one another, and it wasn't that hard to find the road nearby. They were less than a mile away from the city.

       "Come on everyone, let's get to the city." Ara' Sei said. The group began walking to the city, some of them covered in large, purple wound marks. Others were covered with gashes, others bore browning bruises.

       Walking to the city felt far more difficult than it should have. When they got to the front gates, the guards stopped them.

       "What in the world happened to you all?!" The guard asked.

       "We've travelled a long way, very quickly. As quick as possible, the journey's been... difficult." She said.

       "Pffft, sure, what kind of fight have you all been in, and where?" The guard asked, looking away from Ara' Sei.

       "It was in Cresselbrooke, we had to retreat here." Zerai said.

       "Hmmm, I dunno, we're gonna have to hold you up for a bit longer." The guard said. The guard gestured for the group to wait while a couple of others watched them.

       The group sat down, Ara' Sei desperately wanted to collapse.

       "Okay everyone, the rings we got, make sure to spend some time with them on your own." Eris said. Aiyoshar, Brie, and Eris all took out rings. They had five total.

       "Who needs them?" Eris asked.

       "I do, one breath weapon and I was out instantly. As far as I'm aware, so was Roya." Varhine said. Aiyoshar handed one ring to Roya. Eris gave one of the ones they had gotten to Varhine.

       "I think I need one, I constantly have to get up close to these things." Ella said. Eris handed the other ring they had to Ella.

       "I need this, I haven't been hit by any dragon's breath yet. But I could definitely use it." Brie said.

       "Brie, I found this golden amulet of some kind this morning, could you take a look at it?" Ara' Sei asked, holding out the mysterious golden amulet. It shimmered far more bright than gold naturally could, and it was dazzling in the daylight.

       "Hmmm, I don't know, I might need a moment to take a look at it." Brie said, opening her spellbook. She took a pear from a pouch and held the amulet in her hand before leaning over the book's open pages. The pages were filled with dense, runic writing, that was both harsh and graceful. She read beneath her breath, and she did it in a strange, quiet, and almost chant-like incantation. The guards gave her strange looks.

       After over ten minutes of strange chanting. Brie closed her eyes, and took a deep breath.

       "This amulet makes you far tougher if you aren't already, but it doesn't have much effect for people who are already that way. I'd say it's good for Zerai, he always needs to be in the thick of combat but I always see him go down easily." Brie said.

       "Oh, uh, right." Zerai said, suddenly remembering how useless he had been and how easily he had gotten severely hurt in previous fights. Brie handed him the amulet.

       "Do I need to spend some time with it before the effect happens?" Zerai asked, Brie nodded.

       Ara' Sei opened one of her books and began reading, relieved to take her mind off things for some time. Well over two hours passed where the group tended their wounds and connected to their magical items. Then, everyone heard a group of people walking towards them.

       It was about ten guards, and in the center, a man wearing intricate robes.

       "We have done an investigation of some of our recent records, and of legal records throughout Sathun. Therefore, you are under arrest for arson, robbery of magical items, breaking in of an institution, and of stealing a ship." The man explained.