Chapter 259

The closest dragon was spreading glowing, violet fog through a street, withering all who were encircled by the mist.

       "We have to fight it, even if we can't save the town, we're reducing the number of dragons for the future!" Zerai shouted. The group nodded and followed him as they all charged towards the nearby dragon.

       The dragon stood atop a crumbling roof, a horrid smile on its face as it watched its shadow creatures pursue innocent civilians. Below it lie three idle shadow creatures, which turned towards the group.

       Ella was the first to run forward, and she charged straight towards the shadow creatures. With four, quick strikes, each shadow creature was sundered, screeching as it was torn apart by the massive blade.

       Brie stepped back, carving a pulsing, red glyph into the air and sending a red bead of light flying towards the dragon. The dragon reeled back as it was impacted by the explosion, its sudden movement causing the roof beneath it to fully collapse. Brie cursed under her breath at her own carelessness for the village around them.

       Varhine ran back towards Aiyoshar, placing her hands upon his shoulders. Emerald light pulsed through him, mending the prevalent purple marks upon his red skin. Then, she backed away from the dragon.

       The dragon's eyes flashed with violet power as it roared with deafening volume that shook the nearby, unstable buildings. Brie, Ella, and Roya just barely clung on. Everyone else felt an uncontrollable desire to run away, or hide, or freeze. Anything that would get them away from the dragon.

       Then, the dragon leapt down upon Ella. Ella winced as the jaws clamped onto her, the teeth withering her flesh as the touched her. The dragon then swiped at Ella with its massive claws, but she glanced them off of her armor. Then, she stepped back, evading the claws once again.

       Petrified with fear, Zerai just looked up at the dragon with wide eyes. His hands shaking as he clutched his blade.

       Ella saw the dragon's tail whipping towards her, but she was unable to avoid it, and the massive tail slammed into her.

       Roya charged forward towards the dragon with their mace in hand. However, the mace merely bounced off the dragon's scales.

       Then, the dragon whirled around, its massive tail slamming into Roya. It took everything for Roya not to get flung off their feet.

       Ella charged forward with her blade at the dragon, as it had left itself exposed upon flying to the ground. However, the dragon's thick scales were proving to be a challenge, and Ella didn't get the same result as before. Nevertheless, the dragon roared as black ichor poured from the gaping holes in its chest.

       The dragon's tail whirled around once again, but it didn't slam into Ella with the same power before, as the dragon was busy coughing gallons of black blood onto the ground.

       Once again, Brie carved the pulsing red glyph into the air, and upon releasing its power, a red explosion of fiery power singed the dragon's back.

       Aiyoshar and Varhine were finally able to fight the feeling of hopeless fear that overcame them, but they almost collapsed afterwards, a feeling of dizziness overcoming them as they heaved the supernaturally imposed feeling away.

       The dragon's jaw flew out towards Ella, clamping around her. Then, the dragon slashed horizontally with its claws, almost knocking Ella to the ground. However, the claws merely bounced off of Roya's thick, metal armor.

       Zerai was the only one still fighting the feeling that had overcome him. The screams of the town around him, the smell of smoke in the sky. The several corpses in sight. What was the point?

       Roya placed their hands upon Ella, and sunlight flooded through her. Ella's ghastly gashes began to mend themselves, becoming clean, healthy flesh once again.

       "Thanks!" Ella said.

       Roya didn't have time to reply, as the dragon's tail slammed them in the chest, sending them reeling backwards.

       Aiyoshar muttered a word beneath his breath, and his body glowed with sunlight as his wounds healed over with a similar sunlight glow to Roya's healing.

       "Solan, hear my call, grant us strength to wage this battle." Aiyoshar whispered, clutching the symbol of Solan in his hand. Him, Ella, and Roya, glowed with sunlight, and all of their wounds continued to mend.

       The dragon beat its wings, sending a shockwave outwards. Ella and Roya were flung backwards, and they were also knocked to the ground. The dragon began flying upwards, and a violet glow radiated from its mouth as purple mist just barely began to spill out.