Chapter 256

"No, oh dear Ara' Sei, that wasn't the right choice." Ara' Carus said. Then, Ara' Sei felt the fangs sink into her shoulder, and the strange feeling of cold that followed.

       In response, Ara' Sei spun around, letting the light build within her arm to the point of searing herself as fast as she could.

       From atop the dragon that Ara' Carus rode upon, Cedric and Eris saw a bright, white flash.

       Ara' Carus screeched, and the dragon to the two rode upon flailed in confusion and panic.

       Ara' Sei leapt off the dragon and opened the wings that Zerai had given her. She groaned as she felt cold explode through her back. Glancing back, she saw Ara' Carus' outstretched hand.

       Looking to the battlefield around her, Ara' Sei could see two dead dragons near Eris, their wings having been severed and their bones broken. Deep gashes marked the vital points of the two dragons, Eris was doing well. Cedric was back in his eagle form, evading the dragons around him.

       But, several dragons began to fly after Ara' Sei herself. She opted for flying as fast as she could away from them.

       Eris continued to dodge and weave around the larger, clumsier dragons around them. With Cedric's magic, they were able to effortlessly fight their many opponents, finding their weaknesses and seeing their strikes before the occurred.

       Ara' Sei heard a piercing cry, and her body glowed with emerald light. Ara' Sei glanced towards him just to see the spear of flame flying from Ara' Carus' hand. It slammed into Cedric, and his eagle form looked to be badly burnt.

       In response, Cedric flew directly away from Ara' Carus, and back towards Cresselbrooke.

       Ara' Sei was becoming more and more tired, she flung beacons of light towards her pursuers but it was clear she wouldn't hold out long. The only one doing okay was Eris.

       "We need to retreat, and hope we bought enough time!" Ara' Sei shouted. She winced as violet flames surrounded her, turning her skin purple. She blinked several times to stay awake.

       "One sec!" Eris shouted back, plunging their dagger into a dragon's neck. The dragon began falling towards the ground, and Eris leapt from its back, flying to the side of an incoming dragon's jaws.

       "Yeah, we should go." Eris said. They flew back far faster than Ara' Sei, and at about the same speed as Cedric. As they all away from the battlefield, the rest of the dragons strangely stopped their pursuit, and began flying back towards Ara' Carus.

       "Do not worry Ara' Sei, you won't live for long with your bad decisions!" Ara' Carus shouted, bearing a smile that revealed her currently dripping fangs. The dragons hovered together, still almost at two dozen strong.

       "How are we ever going to bring their numbers down?" Ara' Sei whispered to herself in defeat. Eris could fight the dragons, but they were one person. Ara' Sei wiped her watery eyes, and merely focused on trying to keep up with Cedric and Eris. Then, her eyes flicked ahead to the village of Cresselbrooke, and she gasped.