Chapter 271

Ara' Sei woke up to see Cedric and Eris had already gone. Ella and Zerai were sparring, and it was immediately clear Ella was winning. Despite the massive size of her weapon, she wielded it as if it were lighter than Zerai's longsword.

       Next to Ara' Sei on a piece of fabric was a magical berry, she gladly devoured it. Then, checking her water skin, she found it was full.

       "Hi Ara' Sei, goodness, you slept like a log." Zerai said.

      "I did no-, I did?" Ara' Sei asked.

       "Yeah, it's been an h-" Zerai started as he got shoved by Ella.

       "Come on, your girlfriend's watching you and you're still getting your butt kicked!" Ella shouted with a laugh as she advanced.

       "Yeah, come on Zerai!" Ara' Sei said mockingly. Zerai shot Ara' Sei a glare, but it was quickly interrupted as Ella slammed into him, sending him rolling across the ground. He grunted as Ella put her foot on his chest.

       "Ok, you're dead now, act the part!" Ella demanded. Zerai rolled his eyes and opened his mouth. He stared off into space, and laxed the grip on his blade.

       "Bleh?" He asked.

       "That's the spirit! Ok, we're done now, I win." Ella said happily before she skipped away.

       Ara' Sei snapped her fingers, and pale light rushed across Zerai, cleaning the dirt off of him. He got up on his own.

       "Have you ever beaten Ella in a sparring session?" Ara' Sei asked.

       "No, we don't use magic because it actually hurts, so I always lose." Zerai answered.

       "Awww, big strong mean can't use golden fire on old lady so he loses." Ara' Sei said mockingly. Zerai chuckled.

       "I dare you to say that to her face." Zerai said.

       "Alright. Ella!" Ara' Sei said.

       "What is it?" Ella asked.

       "You're an old lady, right?" Ara' Sei asked. Zerai exhaled forcefully.

       "Yup, and I beat your boyfriend." Ella answered. Ara' Sei looked back towards Zerai.

       "Point taken." He admitted.

       "You think Cedric and Eris will bring us anything?" Ara' Sei asked. Zerai shrugged.

       "I don't know. We're expecting Ara' Carus to show up today or tomorrow, so they said they wouldn't take as long." Ella said.

       "Speaking of which, when they get back, we should have a fight plan. Something a bit more polished than the last plan we had." Ara' Sei said.

       "Yeah, that would be a good idea. But, we're probably going to need them to plan." Zerai said.

       "I'll start thinking about it now, but we'll figure out the finer details later." Ara' Sei concluded.

       In the actual town of Aaronsworth, Eris was huddled behind a barrel in an alleyway. They were at the same square as the day before. They carved a violet glyph, and then it vanished. High above the square, the point of pale light appeared.

       "Take those you love and the things that you need most, and leave this city. Go to Duskholme, to Fort Ao, or to Nakash Doer. Go anywhere you can hide for some time, for it is no longer safe here." A smooth, echoing voice explained.

       Eris figured that since Ara' Carus was undoubtedly closer, they probably needed to make the message more urgent.

       From back outside the town, Ara' Sei looked towards Aaronsworth. She could see wagons crowded outside the walls. She flew higher up, and she could see that more ships were leaving the port.

       "Good, it's working."